Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review: Parallel Visions (Teen Psychic #1) by Cheryl Rainfield



Parallel Visions (Teen Psychic #1) by Cheryl Rainfield

Published by Rain and Sun Press, 2012

Goodreads

Visions can kill you. Would you risk your life to save someone else’s?

Kate sees psychic visions of the future and the past—but only when she's having an asthma attack. When she "sees" her sister being beaten, she needs more visions to try to save her, along with a suicidal classmate—but triggering her asthma could kill her. Parallel Visions is the story of one brave, caring girl whose unusual gifts put her own life in danger.

A new YA fantasy from the award-winning author of SCARS and HUNTED.

Thoughts:

At first glance, Parallel Visions looks like just another paranormal thriller about young Kate who can see visions and must stop them from happening. But after reading it, I'm not so sure. Parallel Visions seems to be more meaningful, more thoughtful, than that.

You see, Kate doesn't just have to stop what's happening in her visions. She must decide what's important to her - saving her family and friends at any cost and risk her own life to see more, or slowing down a little and trying to figure things while valuing her life. The visions only come when she has an asthma attack, and Kate doesn't always try to stop the attacks just so she can find out more. This is what I really like about Cheryl Rainfield's stories. She makes her characters strong enough to deal with their issues but they still struggle, and they still have to go through this process of learning to love themselves as well as the people around them.  

It's a short book (146 pages) so I wont say more about the plot but I will mention these awesome things. Gil, the boy at school who takes an interest in Kate and helps her with her struggles. I wish I could have seen more of him beyond his helpful personality (what does he like, what does he do in his spare time, etc) but I loved him anyways. Kate's brother in law, Mason - that man disturbed me! But in a good way, I guess. Since I'm mentioning him here in the awesome category. Sure he was a little over the top at times, but I actually liked that about his character. It gave Kate more to overcome and her family and friends more reason to trust her.

I didn't enjoy the storyline between Kate and her parents. Maybe that's because I only saw them being overprotective and unbelieving of Kate's visions. But I also felt like they were too quick to change their mind on certain things throughout the story. 

Overall, an excellent book, and I look forward to seeing what happens in the next book. I would recommend this story to anyone who liked Cheryl Rainfield's book Hunted, or anyone who enjoyed vision stories and wants to read something that's a little different from the usual murder mystery.


My Rating:




Disclaimer: I received a free ecopy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a really interesting book! I like the plot tools that your mentioned, it makes it sound like a lot of fun! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an interesting book. I haven't read Cheryl Rainfield before, but I recently got her next book, Stained, from Netgalley, so I'm excited to see what she's like. There are such good reviews for all her books.

    ReplyDelete