Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review: The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington



The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington

Published by Scholastic Point, 2013

Goodreads

A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?

Thoughts:

The Dead and Buried is the story of a teenage girl, Jade, who moves to a new town with her family. Soon after school starts and instead of being welcomed into her new community, she is treated strangely and everyone starts talking behind her back. What is going on? Jade learns through several circumstances that her new house is a murder house and that the murdered girl used to go to her new school, her younger brother starts seeing a ghost, and things in the house keep rearranging themselves. Soon Jade gets stuck solving the mystery in order to save her brother from the crazy ghost (Kayla) haunting their new house. 

I read Kim Harrington's debut novel Clarity and really enjoyed the mystery there. So I was thrilled when Scholastic recently sent me a copy of The Dead and Buried to read for review. I always like to read at least one or two mysteries or thrillers during the summer. They are fast paced, light, yet thrilling reads that make me want to turn the pages. I found The Dead and Buried to be exactly that. It was light and fast paced and I couldn't figure out who the murderer was either, which is exactly what I like in a mystery. Lots of surprises!

My favourite parts of the story were the scenes between Kayla, Jade, and Jade's younger brother. I liked the aspect of the book that Cody was the only one that could see her. And I also liked the scenes where Jade tries to fight back and things don't always turn out so well for her. I wasn't so sure about the romance between Jade and Donovan. I felt like with his girlfriend dying only a few months ago it seemed to much to be asking me to believe he would then fall in love with the girl who moves into her house, help her find her killer, and be totally fine with hanging out around the house. Even if he didn't really like Kayla as much as Jade, I think that would just be really awkward for someone to go through. 

If I had to compare Clarity and The Dead and Buried, I did enjoy Clarity just a little bit more. But only a little.  The Dead and Buried was a fun, easy, fast read I would recommend to anyone who likes a bit of mystery that involves angry ghosts. 

My Rating:





Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book from Scholastic in exchange for my honest opinion. 



post signature

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't Cody just the sweetest things?.?. Glad you enjoyed this one. :) Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked this one! I keep hearing mixed things and so I'm not sure about it, but it does sound really interesting! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books that are so well written that you cannot figure out the whole mystery before the story ends. Thanks for the summary. It sounds like a pretty good book.


    from Ethel Harper at Online PhD Degrees

    ReplyDelete