Monday, July 15, 2013

Miniature Reviews: Charade by Nyrae Dawn and Forty Days by Stephanie Parent



Minature reviews are where I quickly share my opinion on books I've read recently. They are not "review" books (ie books from the publisher to read and review) but books from my own collection, borrowed, or the library.


Charade (Games #1) by Nyrae Dawn

Goodreads

The story is about Cheyenne (19) and Colt (21) who meet because of a shared hatred of Gregory, Cheyenne's recently ex-boyfriend and a guy that Colt just can't stand. Cheyenne proposes that they pretend to be dating so she can show Gregory he is not the only guy in the world. In the process, both Cheyenne and Colt end up falling in love and discovering that they are both worth more than they are giving themselves credit for. It's a cute, touching story, and who wouldn't like getting back at a cheating ex-boyfriend? But I did find it very predictable and I kept comparing it to What A Boy Wants, which is still my favourite by Nyrae Dawn. 3/5 stars.





Forty Days (Neima's Ark #1) by Stephanie Parent

Goodreads

After reading Stephanie Parent's debut novel last year, I was eager to see what else she would come up with. Her first book was a retelling of Romeo and Juliet. In Forty Days, Stephanie Parent brings us the story of Noah's Ark from the perspective of Noah's granddaughter Neima. It was a short book and I wish there were more for me to read right now. I really loved this story. Neima is a strong character who handles her situations very well despite the world falling apart around her. I thought Stephanie Parent did an excellent job bringing together the story of Noah, the caretaking of the animals, painting a picture of the world pre-flood, and giving Neima a complex, fascinating life to boot. I can't wait to see what happens next. Unfortunately the stoy ends on a bit of a cliffhanger! 5/5 stars.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. I really liked 40 Days as well! You know she has a NA called Precious Things too?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it too! I'm actually just starting to read more NA now. I will add it to my list for sure.

      Delete