Monday, May 27, 2013

Blog Tour: Interview with Dan Krokos, author of The Planet Thieves

Today's post is an interview with Dan Krokos. His previous book False Memory was published in 2012 and is a YA dystopia. With The Planet Thieves, Dan is bringing a little bit of adventure and aliens into the middle grade world!

WELCOME DAN!

Tell us a little about yourself and the book(s) you've written...

Hi. My name is Dan and I worked at a gas station for almost ten years. While I was there, I read a lot of books. They saved me from the madness that comes with working at a gas station. I wanted to save other people, so I started writing as a way to escape.

It worked, somehow. Now I’m the author of two series—False Memory and The Planet Thieves. I like science fiction, but most of all I like thrillers and adventure stuff. I like coffee a lot, black.

When I’m not writing, I like to play World of Warcraft with my two best friends, who live in different parts of the country. It’s how we still get to hang out.


How do you relax after a long day of writing?


When I get a decent amount of words down, there is simply nothing better than cracking a beer and sitting down on the couch and watching a show or movie to take my mind away from my story and into someone else’s. I think writers have a problem with getting their stories out of their head after the day’s work is done. It keeps me up at night.


What is one thing you'd like your readers to take away from your book(s)?

That they have more control over their lives than they can imagine. They can do things, rather than have things done to them. They are not the sum of their previous choices in life.

Mostly, I want them to know that they don’t have to be afraid.


Is there a dedication at the beginning of your book? Who did you dedicate it to and why?


False Memory is dedicated to my friend Adam Lastoria. When I first started writing, he was the guy who read my early books, the only person to ever read them. And he still gave encouraging words, even though they were terrible. For going through that, the first published book is dedicated to him.


What will your next book be about?

The Planet Thieves comes out May 21st. It’s a space adventure about a 13 year old cadet named Mason Stark, who is spending two weeks on a spaceship during wartime. The ship gets attacked and boarded by the enemy, and Mason and the other cadets go into hiding.

When the come out, they realize the entire crew has either been captured or killed. And a top secret weapon the ship was carrying is now missing.

Now Mason and his fellow cadets have to utilize what training they have to take back the ship and recover the weapon before some planets get stolen.


What is your favourite tv show? Favourite movie?

Favorite TV show is a three way tie between Game of Thrones, Homeland, and Breaking Bad—whichever one is on the air at the moment. Favorite movie is The Matrix.


You are invited to a masquerade/halloween party. Who (or what) do you dress as?

I just got back from the Houston teen book con, where I was told again and again that I look like Matt Smith, especially since I grew my hair out. I would have to go as the 11th doctor just for kicks.


What is the first line of the first book in your bookcase?

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

 
Would you prefer to be a dragon rider, a dragon slayer, or the dragon itself?

I would want to be a dragon if I could morph into a human like some dragons can. If not, I’d want to ride the dragon, but when you really think about it, dragon riders don’t do much, do they? They just ride around and the dragon does all the work.


What is the most fun you’ve ever had?

When I lived in Cleveland I tried out to be an extra in The Avengers. I got the call in August and spent a whole night hanging out in Loki’s underground hideout. I spent most of the time in the inner laboratory, where Dr. Selvig is working on the cube. You can see me walk behind him carrying a case, and he says, “Put it over there” to me and my companion. In between takes Stellan Skarsgard talked to us about theater and other movies he’d worked on.

Spending 12 hours on a Joss Whedon movie set is the most fun I’ve ever had. I stood next to Loki while Joss Whedon gave him direction, like a foot away. I still can’t believe it.


What advice would you give your teen readers about life?

This isn’t my advice, but I think it’s the most important to keep in mind as a teen: This too shall pass. Whatever you’re going through, however awful it is, it isn’t as terrible as it seems, and you’re going to get past it and learn from it and be one step closer to the person you eventually become as an adult.

My advice is to live life to the fullest, and at least attempt to follow your dreams. There is nothing worse than looking back with regret. At least TRY so you can say you did.


Thank you for sharing with us today, Dan! Find out more about Dan Krokos and The Planet Theives below:


About The Planet Thieves:


The Planet Thieves is the first thrilling installment of a new middle-grade series by Dan Krokos.

Two weeks ago, thirteen-year-old Mason Stark and seventeen of his fellow cadets from the Academy for Earth Space Command boarded the SS Egypt. The trip was supposed to be a short routine voyage to log their required spacetime for summer quarter.

But routine goes out the airlock when they’re attacked by the Tremist, an alien race who have been at war with humanity for the last sixty years.

With the captain and crew dead, injured, or taken prisoner, Mason and the cadets are all that’s left to warn the ESC. And soon they find out exactly why the Tremist chose this ship to attack: the Egypt is carrying a weapon that could change the war forever.

Now Mason will have to lead the cadets in a daring assault to take back the ship, rescue the survivors, and recover the weapon. Before there isn’t a war left to fight.

Find it on Goodreads and Amazon.


About the author:

After pumping gas for nine years to put himself through college, Dan Krokos, now twenty-six, dropped out to write full-time. He enjoys watching TV, playing MMORPGs, and drinking coffee. Currently, he’s hard at work on the next book in Miranda’s journey.

You can contact him via Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr, or just go over to his house! For publicity requests, please contact Jen Corcoran at Disney*Hyperion. For rights questions, please contact Joanna Volpe at New Leaf Literary and Media.

(From his website)

post signature

1 comment:

  1. The Gunslinger! Love your taste in books, Dan.

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete