Thursday, April 18, 2013

Book in Review: The Runaway King (The Ascendence Trilogy #2) by Jennifer A. Nielsen


The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Published by Scolastic, 2013
Goodreads

A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?

The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!


My Thoughts:

The False Prince was my favourite book of 2012 so it's no surprise I grabbed a copy of this book to read as soon as I could. I was afraid that it would not live up to my expectations but in the end, I found it just as charming, thrilling, and unputdownable as the first book.

So what did I like about The Runaway King? Well, first of all I loved that though Jaron has this new task of figuring out how to run a small kingdom, what happens is he is thrown right back into society and has to go undercover. Which was incredibly thrilling because a king undercover? With bandits and pirates? That's just asking for trouble!

And the friendships that develop were so well written. I loved all the new characters, even the ones we are supposed to hate. They were all so so interesting.

And Jaron! He is beyond awesome. I love him just as much as I did the first book. I am so glad the author kept true to his character and the actions he took because otherwise this would just be a boring book about a kid trying to run a kingdom. It would not be the same at all without Jaron.

Anyways, this was such an amazing book. I loved everything about it and was probably one of the best sequels I have read in a long time. I loved the twists and turns in the story, Jaron's crazy ideas and Imogen's cunning strength. If you haven't started this series yet, you are missing out!

My Rating:


Disclaimer: I read a library copy.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment