Friday, April 26, 2013

Book in Review: Belonging (Temptation #2) by Karen Ann Hopkins




Belonging by Karen Ann Hopkins
Published by Harlequin Teen, 2013
Goodreads

I left everything I knew behind.

But it was worth it. He was worth it.

No one thought an ordinary girl like me would last two minutes living with the Amish, not even me. There are a lot more rules and a lot less freedom, and I miss my family and the life I once had. Worst of all, Noah and I aren't even allowed to see each other. Not until I've proven myself.

If I can find a way to make it work, we'll be NOAH & ROSE

together forever.

But not everybody believes this is where I belong.

Thoughts:

I read Temptation last year and thought the romance between the two main characters was cute and fresh. I really liked the setting and the fact that Noah is Amish. We even got to see a lot of his Amish life and how society works there. So I was very excited to see this blog tour come up and get the chance to read where the romance would go next.

Belonging takes place mainly within the Amish community, with Rose trying to become Amish in order to be with Noah. This was a clever way for the author to write more about the Amish community, how women there work, how outsiders could possibly be accepted there, and how important the authority figures are. There are even some good moments between Rose and her friends. We see that not everyone there is goody-two-shoes and they try to have fun in their own way without going too far or getting caught. 

While I enjoyed this cultural aspect of the book quite a lot, I felt there was a lot missing in Belonging that was better done in the first book. For example, the romance. I felt like there was so much more suspense in Temptation and much more reason to keep turning the pages. I didn't really feel throughout Belonging that there was too much at risk because Rose was being too good and her father too lenient. I did enjoy Sam in this book though. He was probably my favourite character, next to Noah. 

But the ending did pull everything together and made me excited for the next book. I'm curious to see what will happen to Noah and Rose and how they will deal with their situation. I'm hoping that there will be a bigger compromise coming from Noah's side since Rose has already sacrificed so much.

My Rating:



Disclaimer: I recieved a review copy from the publisher for blog tour.



post signature

1 comment:

  1. this is on my list now!! thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete