Thursday, March 28, 2013

Discussion: Roadtrips - What Kind and How Many Books?



dis·cus·sion
Noun.
consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate  --Websters Dictionary


I usually use these discussion posts to participate in chatty memes and book chats, but today I thought I'd actually pose a question that I really need help with.

How do you choose the books to take with you on a roadtrip? And how many do you bring with you?

I'm going on a short road trip this weekend and I'm practically having anxiety attacks trying to figure out what I should do. First I have my kindle, but then what if I get tired of the ebook format and want to read something papery? And then do I take my "just for me" book, my review book (which I could actually finish), or something completely different so it feels more vacation-y? Or...should I bring them all? And then I wonder, would bringing them all make me like I have more freedom or less? Do you see my problem?

I've done both before - something new and completely different, and something I was already reading, my kindle, and paper, only a couple, and a whole bunch. But I've always felt either too restricted or like I went overboard. And the goal is not to feel either of those things this time around.

So I need your advice. How do you choose which book(s) to bring with you on road trips?

PS. My options are: Linked by Imogen Howson (paper review copy), Belonging by karen Ann Hopkins (kindle review copy), Boundless by Cynthia Hand (just for me), and The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (just for me) for books I've already started AND Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, Blood Red Road by Moira Young, Through to You by Emily Hainsworth, and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline for something completely new and different.

ETA (April 1, 2013): Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! Here's what I ended up doing:
I took two "just for me" books and then my Kindle which has a mix of everything just in case that didn't work out, but my intention was to go with only the physical books because reading from my kindle, I'd have to pick which book all over again and probably stress myself out trying to decide. This worked out pretty well, though the first half of the trip I ended up not feeling very well so I didn't read as much as I wanted to. I took your suggestions and brought Blood Red Road and Boundless but I mostly ended up reading Boundless. At least I got a taste of Blood Red Road and I'll try to read it soon. I didn't even touch my Kindle at all. Thanks again, you guys rock!

And keep the discussion going. I'm still curious how everyone does it!



post signature

16 comments:

  1. Hmm... personally I would go with some 'just for me' choices. LOVED Boundless & Blood Red Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did? Well that's good to know. They go higher on my list now! I'm starting to think the just for me books are a good idea too.

      Delete
  2. Take Blood Red Road! I wanna read that one so badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took it but only ended up reading a few pages. I'll try to read it soon! Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also do just for you ones. When I went on a weeklong vacation last year I just brought my kobo because it was filled with only books I really wanted to read. And maybe tuck in a paper one, just in case :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My kindle is mostly review books so I took two paper copies and my kindle just in case. But I like your way of doing it. That would be so much easier for a week-long trip.

      Delete
  5. Seriously,is there a harder question? I don't think so! I find it super hard picking my next read when I'm at home, with all my books close to me so that I can pick another one if I really have to. Going away...picking the books to take always brings me close to an extential crisis. Then again, I'm afraid I have to say this: it really doesn't matter. When I went to Poland last fall for a week, I took my Kindle, Libba Bray's "Diviners" and "A Casual Vacancy" with me. The whole trip was so exciting and packed with activities that I only read for a few hours on longer bus drives and I didn't even finish one of the three hundred books I took with me (remember, Kindle?). So my tip would be to take your Kindle and just pick a book off of those to read and if you have to, one well-known comfort read,as well. At least for me, that method works :)Happy roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...your right. Sometimes there is so much to do it really doesn't matter at all. And it's not like there weren't any book stores where I was going...lol. I guess books are like my comfort blanket though. Thanks for the suggestions. So I took one of the just for me books that felt like a comfort read (a series book) and then one new one and my kindle. I think that was just enough to feel like I had the right options.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like to recommend your pages to my other friends. You have a very captivating layout and useful ideas which I appreciate the most.

    University of Phoenix Online

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
    online schooling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to read your post :). It is very informative!
    Phoenix University

    ReplyDelete
  11. The post is written in very a good manner. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept.
    Dr Ron Gallemore Ophthalmologist

    ReplyDelete