Friday, March 8, 2013

Book in Review: Sever (The Chemical Garden Trilogy #3) by Lauren DeStefano


Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Pulished by Simon & Schuster Childrens, 2013
Goodreads

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.

Why I Read This:

To finish the series.

Thoughts:

This was a frustrating book to review because I liked the book overall. However, there were also lots of problems with the writing and the pacing of the book for me.

Throughout the first half of the book I was so bored. It took forever to read. I got annoyed at Rhine's incessant woe is me voice and the fact she wouldn't stop reminscing about what happened in the first book. I wanted a fresh new story but she just wanted to keep going back to her old days. Then the characters spent most of the time at Linden's uncle's just planning to get away and talking about the same things over and over again. I had to put it down.

The second half was a lot more interesting. This is where things started to come together, the characters actually went to new places, and it was interesting to see how different events started to become more important. Rhine *finally* finds her brother and Vaughn starts to reveal his plans and why he's been so evil (my words) which makes Rhine question her hatred for him.

Overall this was an okay series. It has a lot of intrigue and wonder about it. Why is the world the way it is and will they ever fix it? When you start the series you really want to find out. The end of the book gives you all the answers. Unfortunately this series is riddled with plot holes and I found the voice of the narrator got annoying after three books. It was still a fun series to read and anyone interested in polygymous relationships and controlling enviroments in a dystopian world might want to read it despite all my problems with it. There is nothing else like this.

My Rating:



Disclaimer: I received a free ARC from the publisher at Ontario Blog Meet-up 2012



post signature

1 comment:

  1. I definitely liked the first book of the series the most, which I think is kind of problematic. I did like this book better than Fever, but I definitely had problems with the world building overall. I think I enjoyed the reading experience more than you did, but I can still totally see where you're coming from re: pacing and being annoyed at Rhine. :/

    ReplyDelete