Monday, March 18, 2013

Book in Review: Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum


Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum
Published by Harper Teen, 2013
Goodreads
 
Twenty years ago, the robots designed to fight our wars abandoned the battlefields. Then they turned their weapons on us.

Only a few escaped the robot revolution of 2071. Kevin, Nick, and Cass are lucky —they live with their parents in a secret human community in the woods. Then their village is detected and wiped out. Hopeful that other survivors have been captured by bots, the teens risk everything to save the only people they have left in the world—by infiltrating a city controlled by their greatest enemies.

Revolution 19 is a cinematic thriller unlike anything else. With a dynamic cast of characters, this surefire blockbuster has everything teen readers want—action, drama, mystery, and romance. Written by debut novelist Gregg Rosenblum, this gripping story shouldn’t be missed.

Why I read this:

Robots. Revolutions. Secret communities. Yeah, I had to read this.

My thoughts:

I featured this book in one of my Waiting on Wednesday posts a while back, so I was excited to find it at my library and finally get a chance to read it. Despite seeing a lot negative or "I'm disappointed" reviews on Goodreads, I really enjoyed Revolution 19.

The story follows three teens - Nick, Kevin, and Cass, all brothers and sisters who are trying to find their parents and steal back from the robots. They come from a wilderness colony which has recently been attacked by the robots and everyone is scattered, dead, or captured. As they make their way into the city the three soon find out that what they know about the robots and what the city dwellers know about them is very skewed. They team up with some of the city dwellers to save their parents.

Revolution 19 reminded me a lot of The Terminator, and I guess that's a bit what I expected before reading. Only, the robots don't try and kill everyone they see and there is no time travel. Also, the kids aren't trying to save all of humanity, they just want their parents back.

My favourite character was Nick both because of his strong character and because of his story. He was stupid brave in some spots but that put us right inside the robot re-education center which was my favourite part of the story. Those robots are creepy! I liked how complex the author made the story with their motivations and how they justified or completely re-wrote the history of their dominion over humanity.

Cass had an interesting storyline as well. I liked how her backstory played into her motivations and manipulations of other people. There is a quote from her in the book which made me really connect to her. She said something like this (paraphrase): "They killed my parents once. I can't let them do it again." Awww. I loved her in this moment.

Overall, Revolution 19 was a fun, creative, and thoughtful book. It's action packed and for me, a page-turner. I really connected to some of the characters, and I was creeped out in places too. Yet it's all done in a way that isn't too much for people like me who don't like hard sci-fi or too creepy things. Plus, I really admired the author for creating three teen characters who adore their parents so much they are willing to risk their lives to get them back.

My rating:




Disclaimer: I read a library copy.




post signature

2 comments:

  1. I love how you said that this book was like Terminator, but not. Lol! I haven't read this one yet, but I've been really curios and it's nice to see a positive review out there. This one seems to be getting a lot of flack, but this made it sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this one. Cass, Nick and Kevin were great. Wonderful review.



    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete