Friday, March 22, 2013

Book in Review: Innovera Yakov (The Journey of a Thousand Eyes) by Kia Garriques


Innovera Yakov by Kia Garriques
Published by Story Star Publishing, 2013
Goodreads

Be prepared to immerse your self in a world where falling in love could cost you your life and nothing is as it seems.

Innovera Yakov – The Journey of A Thousand Eyes is the first installment in an action-packed fantasy drama where characters with powers of healing and destruction live, love, compete and disappear without a trace while they are being prepared for the Journey.

What is the Journey? What happens to the ones who do not return? What unspeakable, stomach-churning things can happen to them there?

Even Ayana the Great Healer, Krave ‘The Golden One’ and the powerful Blu Tara are terrified of it.

Why I Read This:

I really liked the summary and enjoyed the excerpt I read online.

My thoughts:

Innovera Yakov is a story about a bunch of teens in a distant world. They live together, learn together, and are tested together. Innovera Yakov is a bright and happy place. People can fly, they can develop special powers like healing, fire damage, and more. And to be even happier and more powerful, they can merge with the one person they feel connected to most.

Ayana, Blu Tara, Gamma, and Shay are four of the girls who live in this world and the story mostly centers around them. My favourite of the characters was Ayana, the girl who heals. All four of them also feel connected to the boys - Skylar and Krave are both high on the list as important characters. Some of them are even considering merging with their chosen one.

But some of them are also purposefully, and accidentily drawing the attention of Ice, a man from the dark side of the world who is more like a spirit, consuming the lives of others to stay alive. This brings on a pivotal event in the novel, the changing, which brings the Innoverans together as they come into even more powers and start their journey to another world.

I thought this was a very creative and unique tale. I don't know what it was about the story but it felt like there was some kind of very spiritual message in there. I don't know if the author did this on purpose or maybe I was reading too much into it. There was something very beautiful about Ayana and her faith in this unseen power who is guiding her along the way.

I also loved the world. There was so much creativity in it. I don't even know where to begin. First of all, this isn't some alternative world. Earth still exists. This is a different place in the same world as ours but it also works very differently. Like I said above, everyone can fly, and people have powers. Then there is this merging thing going on. I also loved the dark world aspect to it. It was like each world on this planet were two different sides of a coin. There is also some really cool technology going on. It's subtle, but it's there too.

However, I do have two problems with this book. The first is that even though the book started out great, I got really confused around the middle part. There were so many different characters, the world was completely different than anything I've read before, and I couldn't remember which of the characters were together, who were friends, and who were enemies. Then there was their backstory to read about as well. It took a while to figure it all out, so I have to say I didn't enjoy the story as much as I could have. I didn't really feel like it was an info-dump, but maybe there was too much going on for me to handle all at once.

Secondly, I couldn't stand the arguing between Blu Tara and Gamma. Once or twice is fine and can add a lot of drama to the story but I don't think they had even one scene together where they were getting along. They were supposed to be twins and it would have been nice to see that connection Blu Tara is trying so desperately to hold on to.

Overall I enjoyed the story and would read a second book in this series. The ending was incredible and makes me want to read more. However, I did have those two problems with it and so I have to give it a lower rating than I originally anticipated. It's one to check out, in any case.


My Rating:




Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Good review. I loved this book. I thought it was really imaginative and exciting. I agree about the spiritual aspect to it. Only nitpick, the character's name is Ayana not Ayasha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad to hear you thought so too! And I can't believe I got the character's name wrong. Thank you for pointing it out because if you didn't I might not have caught it. I will make it right :)

      Delete