Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Featured Artwork + Book in Review: Blaze by Laurie Boyle Crompton


Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains) by Laurie Boyle Crompton
Published by Sourcebooks Fire, 2013
Goodreads

Blaze is tired of spending her life on the sidelines, drawing comics and feeling invisible. She's desperate for soccer star Mark to notice her. And when her BFF texts Mark a photo of Blaze in sexy lingerie, it definitely gets his attention. After a hot date in the back of her minivan, Blaze is flying high, but suddenly Mark's feelings seem to have been blasted by a freeze-ray gun, and he dumps her. Blaze gets her revenge by posting a comic strip featuring uber-villain Mark the Shark. Mark then retaliates by posting her "sext" photo, and, overnight, Blaze goes from Super Virgin Girl to Super Slut. That life on the sidelines is looking pretty good right about now.

Why I Read This:

Loved the metaphor of the superheroes to move the story along!

My Thoughts:

Blaze is a comic geek - she's been reading them her whole life and identifies with the characters more than anything else. She's even played around with drawing her own characters like Super Virgin Girl and The Blazing Goddess. When Blaze tries to nab her very own boyfriend and gets more than she bargains for she stumbles upon her very own villain in Mark the Shark, all around hottie and player.

This book started off so funny. Blaze was such a character. I loved her enthusiasm for a game she called Cows. I started this book in public but had to put it down after I realised I wanted to giggle like a little school girl at the funny situations and the voice of Blaze. 

As things got a little more heated in Blaze's life, it became a little less funny but I still couldn't stop turning the pages. There is nothing more satisfying than a girl getting her revenge on a guy who used her, even if she should have seen it coming from a mile away. And when Blaze uses her own talents - comic writing (drawing?) to get her revenge, it's even more satisfying.

This was a fun book which still had lots of consequences for the main character. It was funny, meaningful, and I loved the characters. Plus, it was fairly nerdy. Even though I'm not a Marvel girl like Blaze called herself I could still relate to her love of superheroes (I'm a Superman and Batman kind of girl myself) and realized I do relate to some things the same way she does. I had a lot of fun with this one!

My Rating:



Disclaimer:  I received a free e-copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.


BLAZE - FEATURED ARTWORK

As part of my review for Blaze, I've been given the opportunity to showcase some artwork. In the story, Blaze makes her own superhero, The Blazing Goddess - one she draws herself and identifies with. I love the fact we get to see some of this artwork. It shows not only a very important part of the character but also illustrates a part of the book that is very visual.

© 2012 Anne Cain and a link to her website: http://annecain-art.com/ 





post signature

1 comment:

  1. glad you enjoyed this book so much! I love it when I book can make me giggle!! and those art works would be pretty awesome to look at. Blaze sounds like a great protagonist. I have a copy of this and I will be picking it up because it is short and everyone seems to enjoy it :)

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete