Monday, February 18, 2013

Discussion / Book Chat: Cover Hypnosis


dis·cus·sion
Noun.
consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate  --Websters Dictionary
I follow several bloggers who host weekly or monthly discussions for readers/bloggers and I like to join in when I feel I have something to say. Find great topics at Misty's Book Chat, Amber's Saturday Discussion,  and TBTB's Top Ten Tuesday.

This week I'm participating in Misty's Book Chat and we are talking about...Covers.
This month Misty from The Book Rat asks a very interesting question about covers. Are there books out there you weren't going to read but got drawn into just because the cover intrigued you? Also, what elements of cover design are more likely to suck you in?

Here's my answer:

Of course there are covers that make a book more appealing to me! There are always books that I hear about and think Meh. I'm not sure if I want to read them. Then they keep popping up everywhere. The cover is hypnotic. It talks to me and tells me to read it. Some of the books I probably wouldn't have picked up if not for the cover design also drawing me in:


Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys


What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn


Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann


Wither by Lauren DeStephano 


Possession by Elana Johnson


This isn't alway the case though. Some books I pick up on sheer recommendation. I wasn't sure if I would read it, the cover isn't so great, but someone tells me I will like it so I do.

However, most of the time it's the cover that draws me in. It's my first impression of the book and I think that's why even when I don't know if I want to read something the cover will still make me want it. It's supposed to be a representation of the story and if I like the cover maybe I'll like the story too.

It should be a little bit obvious from the above list what draws me in the most: objects.

A cyborg foot, a bird cage, a desk, an assortment of objects circled and connected through lines, and even a butterfly in a cube.

Objects on covers are so intriguing to me. I want to know why they are so important to the story that they'd be made into the focus of the cover. I keep thinking about this and before you know it, I have to know. It's like a mystery to me and the only way I can get my answer is to read the book.

#2 Sucking me in factor: Setting

This works the same way  as objects. It connects me to the story and sets up the mood for me. I want to know more about the world. This works especially well in dystopian, science fiction, and fantasy books but maybe not so much in the paranormal and contemporary settings.

#3 Colour

Anything black, green, purple, or hot pink is like pure eye candy to me. I can't even help myself. I like candy.

#4 Stars / Stardust

Sometimes I add the books to my TBR before I even process the summary. I remember adding Across the Universe by Beth Revis before there was a summary. I wanted to devour it based on the cover alone. Stars are sparkly and mysterious. I don't understand how any of you can resist them.

#4 People on covers, but especially of the male variety

Because male figures on covers are much more rare in YA it intrigues me more. Books like What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn, Bruiser by Neal Shusterman, and Being Henry David by Cal Armistead. It's also another reason I usually pick up contemporary romance, even though I don't consider myself a huge contemporary romance fan.


Which covers drew you in despite your reservations about the story? What elements in cover design make you want to read the book even more? If you participated in Misty's Book Chat and want to leave a link to your own post / vlog please link me below and I'll take a look.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment