Sunday, February 3, 2013

Book in Review: A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight #1) by Lisa M. Basso


A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight #1) by Lisa M. Basso
Published by Month9Books, 2013
Goodreads

Sixteen-year-old Rayna sees angels, and has the medication and weekly therapy sessions to prove it. 

Now, in remission, Rayna starts fresh at a new school, lands a new job, and desperately tries for normalcy. She ignores signs that she may be slipping into the world she has tried so hard to climb out of. But these days, it’s more than just hallucinations that keep Rayna up at night. Students are dying, and she may be the only one who can stop it. Can she keep her job, her sanity, and her friends from dying at the hands of angels she can't admit to seeing?

Why I Read This:

Itching for another paranormal read with angels.

Thoughts:

When I first saw the cover for A Shimmer of Angels, I was immediately drawn to it. Then I read the summary and found out it was about a girl who can see angels. Not only that, no one believes her so she is treated in the mental health facility. While I love a good angel paranormal, one of the things that always bothers me about them is people around the protagnist are much too willing to accept any crazy story that comes their way. I really liked the idea that Rayna had to struggle with her family and with herself for years before getting to this point.

The story starts off with Rayna starting at a new school. She's recently been released from a mental health hospital. She thinks she is doing well but then strange things start to happen again. A new boy shows up, and now she's seeing the wings again. Then one of her school peers goes balistic, draws an angel in art class and Rayna finds her in the basement with her wrist cut. Not only that, but another guy with wings has started hanging around her workplace. 

Rayna thinks she is having a relapse, but when the two guys convince her that they are angels and she's the only one they've ever known who can do that, she starts to have more confidence in herself and trust what she's seeing. A lot of things happen throughout the book. There is a struggle between good and evil, there is romance between Rayna and the two guys, and there is a lot of stuff that happens with her family.

I had a really fun time with this book. I liked the writing and the characters. I thought the best part of the book was the psychological struggle between Rayna and her alleged mental health issues. I wasn't sure if I would end up liking the two guys because they both had some major flaws. For example, if Cam chose to be with her he'd turn into a fallen angel, but he didn't seem willing to do that and ended up stringing her along. On the other hand, Kade seemed like he actually cared about her but it felt to me less like a romantic caring and more of a control thing, which kind of creeped me out a bit. Even so, in the end they both really grew on me.

Lisa M. Basso has a good thing going here. I felt there was some wiggle room for improvement. Towards the end the story got a little too crazy for me. Between the psychological aspect and the romance, I felt there was more to be explored and some very unique moments could have been created between the characters rather than focus on some of the other things. Still, I really enjoyed the book. It had a lot of action, a lot of romance, and a bit of a mystery too. It was one of my favourite books this past month and after months of waiting I was very happy to finally read, and like it too!

My Rating:



Disclaimer: I received an e-copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.





post signature

1 comment:

  1. I love love love angels and I love love love the battle between good and evil and I'm so glad you liked this one so much! I'll definitely be checking this one out further. Thanks for sharing! Fab review, Erika! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete