Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Love Story Book in Review: Hooked (Hooked #1) by Liz Fichera


Hooked (Hooked #1) by Liz Fichera
Published by Harlequin Teen, 2013
Goodreads 

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.

Why I Read This:

Looked like a cute book.

Thoughts:

Since it's Valentine's Day, I thought I'd celebrate by sharing my review of this teen romance book with you. Though it's not the traditional gushy romance, it does have a boy-meets-girl feel to it.

When the book begins, we meet Fredricka (Fred for short). Fred is a Native American who likes to play golf. Her dad works at the golf course and she's taught herself how to play from days spent hanging around waiting for dad.  The golf coach from her school notices how good she is and invites her to play on the boys golf team at school.

Then there is Ryan, one of the golfers on the boys team. He's a rich white boy and seems to have the perfect life but underneath it all he has problems too, like a cheating father, a mother who is never home, a best friend who is messed up and becoming more dysfunctional as the book goes on, and a girlfriend he really just tolerates.

As the book progresses, the two of them get to know each other but there are a lot of misunderstanding along the way. 

Though I enjoyed the story overall there were some things that I felt were too over the top. Like Seth's hatred for Fred. I understand he was upset because she took his place in the golf team, but at the end of it all he seemed a bit too cartoon villain to me, seething with hatred and scheming crazy schemes. 

Also, the name. I see this all the time with YA books about sports. If it's a girl playing on a boys team she always has...surprise, surprise, a boyish name. Or at least a name that can be mistaken for a boys name. It's too gimicky for me.

The story was good though. I liked the Native American elements to it and the discovery between the two, learning about each others lives and how different they were from each other. Then finding a common place where they could relate.

It's not a sweet love story. There is a lot of hurt and pain for the characters. In the end there is a happy ending though. My favourite parts ended up being where they played together on the golf course, but all the other stuff was important too. If you like sports and non-gushy romance you may want to consider reading this one.

My rating:



Disclaimer: I received a free e-copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    



post signature

2 comments:

  1. The cover makes it look like a gushy heart wrenching kind of love, surprised its the opposite! Thanks for the review and I might be adding this to my TBR pile!

    www.themakeupmother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Excellent point about Seth. I just couldn't understand where all that hatred and aggression was coming from. You're right: it was over the top! This book wasn't quite what I thought it would be, but I still enjoyed it somewhat too. :)

    ReplyDelete