Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 End of Year Survey



The 2012 End of Year Survey is an annual meme/survey that was started by The Perpetual Page Turner three years ago. This is a great way to recap a year of reading and blogging. I did the same survey last year and was excited to get into this one as well.

You can see the original post on Jamie's blog and surf through over hundreds of answers by other book bloggers while you are over there. My answers are below.

Best in Books 2012


Best Book You Read in 2012?


The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going to Love More But Didn't?

I still liked these books, I was just expecting to like them more:
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver (3/5),
Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally (3/5) and
Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins (3/5)

Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington. I wasn't surprised that I liked it but I was surprised by how much I loved it. And there must be something wrong with my head because I still haven't read Entice.

Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Best series you discovered in 2012?


Technically, "best" by default because this is the only series that fits into a) new to me and b) read in 2012. That's The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefavter.

Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

Nyrae Dawn, Maggie Stievfater, Cheryl Rainfield, and Lisa Schroeder

Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

When Love Comes to Town is a GBLT book. This is really out of my comfort zone. I ended up really liking it and can't deny this author knows how to write! I can't wait to share my review in March when the 25 anniversary edition comes out.

Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?


Dead to You by Lisa McMann (on both counts).

Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

This isn't something I usually do but if I end up having extra time (yeah right) I would love to re-read  Being Henry David by Cal Armistead (which comes out in March) or Renegade by J.A. Souders.

Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?




Most memorable character in 2012?

Male - Sage from The False Prince
Female - Cinder from Cinder 

Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

I want to say "everything I read by Maggie Stiefvater". Her writing style is so beautiful and complex and intricate and I just can't get enough of it. But if I have to choose a book I will say The Raven Boys. Maggie takes complex to a whole new level.

Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?


Hallowed by Cynthia Hand.

Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?

Shiver by Maggie Stiefavter.

Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?

I couldn’t do it. Thirteen-hundred-and-five years and I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t destroy their only symbol of hope. They didn’t know the real Fable Ketterling, they knew Fable the Immortal, the girl that could withstand anything, the girl without fear, the girl that lived forever. They believed in her because they aspired to be her. They bought her merchandise, watched her commercials, came to her events, showered her with gifts, and declared their undying love for her.

They didn’t know that the real Fable Ketterling lived in a lead box forty stories under their city.

From Death Sentence by Rhiannon Paille

Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?

Shortest novel - What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn (119 pages)
Longest novel - Defy the Stars by Stephanie Parent (596 pages)

Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

The end of A Million Suns! How can that woman let us wait a whole year after that?!

Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Sam & Grace in Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Their relationship is so epic, it gets an ampersand in between their names.

Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously?

Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott. Soooo much better than Grace which I read last year, and Miracle which I read this summer. It's very cute and made me happy reading it.

Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else?


Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I didn't really expect to like this one when I first heard about it so I completely brushed it off, but when I kept seeing happy smiling faces after everyone I knew read it I knew I had to give it a chance. So glad I did!


Book Blogging/Reading Life


New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?

Forever 17 Books and Book Nerd Canada,

Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?

I do think one of my favourite reviews was my The Girl in the Wall review, just because I had such mixed feelings on aspects of that book and I feel like I was able to express that much better than other reviews.

A Part to Play was probably my best written review.

And of course, The False Prince, because when you read the best book of the year you can't help but be excited to write about all your lovey-dovey feelings for it.

Best discussion you had on your blog?

I loved writing up the Pretty Book Spines discussion. I think a lot of people really appreciated what I had to say too because I got a lot of comments on that post.

Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?


I'm cheating just a little bit by picking a blog "feature" rather than discussion.

If you haven't seen A Kid's Perspective: Judging a Book By It's Cover by Forever 17 Books yet, I recommend you go over there right now and take a look!

Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?


That was by far and away the Ontario Book Bloggers Meet-up. Honourable mentions go to Word on the Street (Kitchener) which is a local annual book festival which happens in major cities across Canada all on the same day. The Lattitudes Festival, a local storytelling festival was memorable as well.

And of course, meeting another local blogger, Sarah. She has become a good friend and our little kids have fun playdates together every few months. It's been great getting to know someone else who understands my book blogging passion!

Best moment of book blogging in 2012?

Participating in Bloggiesta this spring was really fun, informative, and gave me a new perspective on blogging. I plan to do another one in the future.

Start
Finish Line

Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?


Last year my most popular post was of Maggie Stiefvater's April Fool's joke. It has consistantly been the top viewed post ever since.

You can see that post here.

The most popular post written this year was the link to Veronica Roth's FREE Divergent story. The link was hard enough to find and so I see why so many people are stopping by to get to it.

You can see that post here.

I also want to mention the most popular original post (a.k.a. not author news) written by me which was my Favourite Books Blogged discussion post.

You can see that here.

Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

This is an odd one, since it's not really a post, per say...I would love if more people took a look at the Guest Archive. There are some really great interviews, guest posts, etc and the guests are my #2 favourite thing about blogging here (only after reading/reviewing) so I'd love if you all took a look and read through an interview of your favourite author or pick a random one and discover a new author!

Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?


Eidelweiss has been very helpful in finding upcoming releases and staying on top of what's next to be published.

Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

No, actually. I deleted all my reading challenges except for the challenge on Goodreads earlier in the year. It was too much pressure. I am enjoying reading a lot more since I stopped doing that. I didn't finish the Goodreads challenge either, but I am happy with what I accomplished (152/175 books).

Looking ahead...


One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?

I really can't pick any one book. I want to read them all *now* so they are all my number 1 priority in my head. Makes it hard to pinpoint and say for sure what I am going to read.

One thing I would like to do is finally read all 7 of the Harry Potter series.

Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?


Again, I can't pick just one book...but at least I can narrow it down...

Divergent #3 (Untitled) by Veronica Roth
Scarlet by Marissa Myer
Boundless by Cynthia Hand
Shades of Earth by Beth Revis
Requiem by Lauren Oliver
The Impossibility of Tomorrow by Avery Williams

are all on my list of books I might just break down and buy at any moment.

One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?

Be more organized, read more passionately, and show more acts of kindness towards the world, whether that is helping out a fellow blogger or using this blog to bring more awesomeness into the world at large. Yes, that's quite the goal. But why have a goal at all if I don't try to reach for the stars?








post signature

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Erika!! May 2013 bee amazing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love The Wolves of Mercy Falls. Sam! <3 And The Raven Boys thoroughly impressed me. I am so excited for the sequel. I really must pick up my copy of Dead to You soon too!

    Thank you so much for including my Judging a Book By Its Cover feature!!! I just love doing it so much with my son and it makes me happy to know others enjoy it as well! <3

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh it's so funny because I LOVED Pandemonium and Catching Jordan, but I couldn't stand Embrace. It's funny because we do like a lot of the same books, I think, so it really shows how incredibly unique everyone's tastes are.

    Also I totally need to read The False Prince after getting it from Sarah at the blogger swap. Everyone keeps talking about how GOOD it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers all around! I certainly hope 2013 is the year you read the entire Harry Potter series ♥

    The False Prince is one I definitely want to get to in 2013...so is Embrace, Cinder, The Unearthly Series and The Raven Boys!

    Thanks for sharing & Happy New Year!

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete