Friday, November 16, 2012

Book in Review: What A Boy Wants (What A Boy Wants #1) by Nyrae Dawn


What A Boy Wants (What A Boy Wants #1) by Nyrae Dawn
Published by Nyrae Dawn, 2012
Goodreads

Courtesy of watching his mom’s relationships, Sebastian Hawkins knows what girls need to do to get a guy. He has what he considers a PHD in hooking up. When he needs extra cash for a car, Sebastian starts up an online venture as The Hook-up Doctor, to anonymously help girls land the guy of their dreams. Of course, his services don’t offer a happily-ever-after guarantee. He’s seen firsthand getting together never means staying together.

And then he falls in love…

With the last girl he would expect…

Totally not in his game plan.

Suddenly, Sebastian finds himself muddled in the game he’s always prided himself on. He can’t even pick up girls at parties anymore! Why would anyone want to be in love when it turns you into a stuttering, screwed-up, mess with really lame stalker tendencies? Stalking? Totally not his gig.

But the Hook-up Doctor won’t let himself go down easily. He’s always known how to give a girl what she wants and now it’s time to figure out what a boy wants… and he definitely plans on getting it.

Why I Read This:

 I discovered this book through other bloggers who gave it high praise.

Thoughts:

I recently discovered this amazing contemporary world created by Nyrae Dawn, and I am hooked! 

What A Boy Wants follows male protagonist, Sebastion Hawkins. Sebastion is the Hook-up Doctor, an anonymous entrepreneur who gets paid to give advice on finally "hooking up" with that one person you want to be with. He doesn't believe in love, but is very successful at getting the girl. Now, he is also very good at giving advice to girls about what guys want and how to nab them. 

This story follows him as he falls in love for the first time - with his best friend Aspen - and it gets awkward! That of course, makes the story fun for us ;) 

I didn't know if I'd like Sebastion at first. He's very obnoxious and self-centered. However, I couldn't stop reading my kindle sample, and so I just had to go and get the rest. Well, I got hooked on the story, and Sebastion eventually learns and shares a lot with the reader about his life, explaining some of how he got to be the way he is. At the end of the story I just adored him.

Now, I must also mention the swearing and cliche guy friends play fights/ bantering. I thought that it might bother me, but the author had a way of evening everythng out so nothing was too much at once. I didn't feel bombarded with profanity nor annoyed at the guy stuff. It was just plain fun. I ended up actually smiling and laughing along with them, which is great!

I really liked What A Boy Wants and got so hooked I immediately dove into the second book, What A Boy Needs, which follows Sebastion's best friend Jaden. You'll be sure to see a lot more reviews for Nyrae Dawn books around here!

This is one of those series you'll want to look into if you like fun contemporaries. They are fun and short, easy to get into, and yet also had a lot of heart thrown in there as well!

My Rating:



Disclaimer: I bought my copy.




post signature

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, so glad you liked it!! I actually just bought this one a couple of days ago based on all the good reviews I'd read, and also because the sample seemed pretty good. I'm excited to check it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think you are gonna love it :)

      Delete
  2. This book actually sounds really cool! Have you ever seen "Heartbreaker"? It's a French film and one of my favorites, kinda sounds like the grown up version of this, in reverse. I don't know why it reminded me it, but it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but now I might have to go watch it too. I actually thought of the movie Hitch when I started reading this!

      Delete
  3. I keep seeing this book on my kindle and always go right past it thinking I might not get into it, but I think I am going to go and get the sample and see what I think! Thanks for your great review!

    I just started following your blog and was hoping you can stop by my page and follow back as well? I will be doing my first cover reveal next week and hope you can stop by and check it out!

    www.themakeupmother.blogspot.com (Book reveiws, recipes, mommy tips, Beauty tips and reviews)

    ReplyDelete