Saturday, August 11, 2012

Book in Review: Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver


Cover:



Publisher:

Harper Teen


Summary:
 
I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.


Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.


Why I Read This:

I liked the first book in the series and wanted to find out what happens next.

Thoughts:

Pandemonium was not what I expected. In Delirium we follow Lena on her journey to love despite love being treated as a disease in her society. In Pandemonium we follow her on a journey that brings her to sometimes regret those choices and sometimes stand up for them. We follow her as she joins a group of people struggling to survive, we follow her as she joins a cause.


I liked Delirium because it was simple. There was more to the society than I thought there would be but the plot took a slow and steady course that was easy to follow. Not to mention all the made up quotes from the Book of Shhh that had shivers running through me just a few times. Pandemonium was different from all that. First of all each chapter alternates between a now and a then timeline. I find these timelines fun in mysteries but this isn't a mystery. Instead I became frustrated by it. I was already shown where she is now. So I felt like the then chapters were just going through the motions. Then there was just too much going on in the plot and too many characters to keep track of. It was anything but the simply storyline of book one. Also, the Book of Shhh quotes - completely missing.



So this book had a lot of work to make me enjoy it as much as I did Delirium. I did end up liking it in the end. I really liked the now chapters. Lena is a character that was really fun to watch too. I was never really sure what she was going to do next so she surprised me quite a few times. There was so much action, and Lena makes huge strides for herself. We get a glimpse of another city - New York - and how people deal with the "disease" there and even a glimpse of a faction of invalids - a dangerous faction - that brings Lena closer to someone special. I began to enjoy the then chapters too although for different reasons (there was a sadness to it) and it took a long time to do so.


Overall I enjoyed Pandemonium and would recommend if you liked Delirium to keep reading the series. Only do so knowing that Lauren Oliver has changed a lot about the way the story is written.



My Rating:




Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

1 comment:

  1. I admit it has a interesting premise, but I'm not sure the book is for me.

    ReplyDelete