Thursday, June 14, 2012

Book in Review: Winging It (Dragon Diaries #2) by Deborah Cooke


Cover:


Publisher:

New American Library

Summary:

Zoë Sorensson yearns to come into her powers as the only female dragon shifter. But being part of two worlds is more complicated than she expected. It’s bad enough that she’s the target of the Mages’ plan to eliminate all shifters—she also has to hide her true nature from her best friend Megan, a human. For her sixteenth birthday, all Zoë wants is one normal day, including a tattoo and a chance to see hot rocker Jared.

Instead, the Pyr throw her a birthday party but ban Megan from attendance, putting Zoë in a tight spot. Things get even worse when Zoe is invited to the popular kids’ Halloween party and Megan’s left out. Zoë knows the party is a trap laid by the host, an apprentice Mage. When Megan gets a last-minute invite, Zoë must save the day—and her best friend—without revealing her fire-breathing secrets . . .



Why I Read This:

I loved the first book.


Thoughts:

What took me so long to read this book?! I was so thrilled when it came in my mailbox but for some reason it kept getting shoved aside. Not good. But I'm so happy I finally got a chance to read it because Winging It was an awesome book.

I really do not have anything to complain about, except that it didn't quite grab at me the same way Flying Blind did and nothing can beat that experience of me cracking open the first book in a series to discover something fresh and new.

The one thing I took away from Winging It was how incredible the world Deborah Cooke has created really is. Dragons are back of course, and oh hey, there's Kohana the firebird. My favourite kind of shifters other than dragons are bird shifters so I was thrilled that he played a huge part in this edition of the series. In Winging It we are also introduced to wolf and cat shifters. The world kept getting more and more complex, especially as we are introduced to another wyrd sister who helps Zoe come into more of her wyvern powers.

The story was so much fun. It was jam-packed with action scenes. Mage-butt-kicking action scenes. I really enjoyed getting into Zoe's head and seeing things from her perspective, being pulled every which way, and trying to decide which is the right action to take when she needed to lead the others. Not to mention that also included her love life on more than one occasion! Oh the drama :)

This book made me smile, and I loved it so much I went right on to read Blazing the Trail.
My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I have two copies of this book. One - the North American version, I bought myself. The other one - the UK edition, I received from the author as a gift. This review is for the North American version.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely review!

    I have to say, I've never heard of the first book (Flying Blind, you said?) but I really have to check it out. I skimmed another book with shapeshifitng dragons (Firelight) and I kind of didn't want to fully read it. But this looks great!

    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I liked Firelight too but I liked Flying Blind a lot more. The world building is a lot more complex. Firelight was the first dragon-shifter book I read that was a paranormal (not high fantasy) though so it gets lots of brownie points. I hope you get a chance to read the series!

      Delete
    2. I'm trying to get it as I type, haha.

      Delete
    3. Cool! I hope you like it :D

      Delete