Monday, June 25, 2012

Book in Review: I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder


Cover:




Publisher:

Simon Pulse

Summary:

Girl meets boy.
Girl loses boy.
Girl gets boy back...

...sort of.


Ava can't see him or touch him,
unless she's dreaming.
She can't hear his voice,
except for the faint whispers in her mind.
Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson.
The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with.
He's back from the dead,
as proof that love truly knows no bounds.



Why I Read This:

This book has been on my must-read list for quite a while.


Thoughts:

When I saw I Heart You, You Haunt me sitting on the shelves at the library I just knew I had to snatch it up. It's not very often it comes up as available, and after reading, I know that's for a good reason.


Lisa Schroeder has a very unique voice when it comes to novels-in-verse. Where else can you get a touch of the paranormal and still read a heart-wrenching story that leaves you in awe of the fact that all that paranormal could be just a figment of the protagonists head? This book was no exception. I was incredibly pleased with the direction the author took the story.

I loved reading about Ava and Jackson. Ava's guilt over Jackson's death was raw and very powerful. Seeing her dive deeper and deeper into that guilt the more time she spent with Jackson's ghost was even more powerful. As for Jackson, I couldn't stop reading just so I could see more of him. It was really creepy the way he seemed so clingy and yet the twist at the end made me like him anyways.

The only thing I didn't exactly find very thrilling was the flashbacks of how Ava and Jackson met and the crazy things they did together. I guess that was partially because he's already dead by the very first lines of the book. I just felt more interested in the process of grief as well as watching to see what happened between the two once he came back as a ghost.

This was my favourite book by Lisa Schroeder so far. I actually felt my heart pounding in my chest as I read it. I wish I would have liked the flashbacks more but still an amazing read.

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this book! This is the book that started my love of novels in verse. I've been meaning to re-read it for awhile now. Thanks for reminding me =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! I read it a really long time ago but I still remember how much I fell in love with this story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW.. I haven't read this book yet. I am intrigued! I really love reading stories with real depth. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm the only one who hated this book, lol

    ReplyDelete