Saturday, June 30, 2012

Book in Review: Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder





Cover:



Publisher:

Simon and Schuster
 
Summary:

Restless souls and empty hearts.

Brooklyn can’t sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca died a year ago, and now their friend Gabe has died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there, waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca chasing her through her dreams.

Nico can’t stop. He’s always running, trying so hard not to feel the pain of missing Lucca. But when he begins receiving messages from his dead brother, telling him to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.


Why I Read This:


On my TBR, just finished with it's predecessor - I Heart You, You Haunt Me and was motivated to read this one too.

Thoughts:

This is a book I kept seeing at the library and have wanted to try out for some time. When I found out it's actually somewhat of a sequal to I Heart You, You Haunt Me I decided to wait. Well, now I have read I Heart You, You Haunt Me and I was finally able to read this one too.


The book starts out good, really compelling. I thought it was good that the author decided to try out changing perspectives and the addition of the letters Brooklyn writes to her dead boyfriend Lucca was nice too. Nico is Lucca's brother and he is the other character the book changes viewpoints from. He is also, in my opinion, the most interesting of the characters. I did enjoy reading his part of the story more so than Brooklyn's. 


I did struggle a bit with this one though. For example, I thought the book was a bit dragged out. I got bored in places and it seemed too long. Also, I felt Brooklyn wasn't different enough from Ava and yet her story wasn't as interesting. Having both Nico and Brooklyn being haunted at the same time was a bit too much over the top for me too. 

What I did really like was the relationship that developed between Nico and Brooklyn. It was very sweet and the fact that both of them were helping each other through the pain of grief made me want to keep reading. I liked the ending and it wasn't as predictable as I had predicted, but in the end I thought this one was just okay.



My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.



No comments:

Post a Comment