Thursday, May 17, 2012

Discussion: Book Covers


dis·cus·sion
Noun.
consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate  --Websters Dictionary
I follow several bloggers who host weekly or monthly discussions for readers/bloggers and I like to join in when I feel I have something to say. Find great topics at Misty's Book Chat, Amber's Saturday Discussion, Melissa's Let's Talk, and TBTB's Top Ten Tuesday.

This week I'm participating in Book Talk, hosted by Melissa at i swim for oceans. The topic is Book Covers and the question is:

What books can you think of that have covers better than the content and vice-versa?

This is a really tough question because after reading a book my perception of the cover can change drastically. 

I can be completely underwhelmed by the cover and after finishing it know exactly why the cover art was done the way it was. 

Or I can be enthralled with the cover and then dissapointed by the content. 

I am going to choose 2 for each.

The cover didn't do it justice:


The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

I have seen this cover in person. I admit, I think it's interesting. I like how it relates to the story. But even after reading it I'm always confused when coming across it on my Goodreads shelves, always thinking "Oh no...why did that cover turn all green?" And then realising it's Perks. I love this book. It has an amazing story. I gave it a 5/5 and my heart secretly breaks into song and dance every time I see one of my Goodreads friends reading it.



Matched by Ally Condie

I have seen this cover in person. It's alright, but completely underwhelming to the epic story between that cover. I understand the concept they were trying to go with - girl in a bubble, breaking out of the bubble, and so on. I just think it was too simple for the story. I wouldn't have picked it up based on cover alone either. I love this book! It was one of my favourite 2011 reads and I gave it a 5/5. It is still the closest Y.A. book to 1984 I can think of, which is one of my all-time top 10 books read.



The cover was amazing, but the story was just okay:


These are a little easier since I've mentioned both of them before. I can't think of many Y.A. books with beautiful covers that were just plain "bad" and I do not want to use a DNF because you never know what the future holds. 

So, instead of "bad" I'm really going with "disappointed".


Wither by Lauren DeStephano.

This entire book is still my all-time favourite cover. I'm blown away by all the little details the publisher has put into not only the cover, but the inside of the book as well. Design-wise, they went ALL OUT. I was disappointed by the book though. It wasn't what I expected. No one really does anything except sit around and talk and teach the reader about their world. I gave it a 3/5. Luckily the second book, Fever was everything I wanted Wither to be (I gave that one a 4/5).




Across the Universe by Beth Revis.

I can fall in love with any book cover that has stars all over it. There is something so beautiful and mysterious about stars. This cover does it the best. I didn't just fall in love, but head over heals for this one. But I was completely appalled by The Season. It completely ruined the book for me. It completely took over the mystery, and to me, that was a bad thing. I gave this one a 3.5/5 and again, the second book made it up for me with a 4/5. 






What are some cover's you can think of 
that didn't do the book justice and vice versa?



2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I would switched Matched and Across the Universe around a little. Matched had a great cover, but an average story. Across the Universe has an average cover but a great story. (Am I the only person who actually thought The Season gave the story merit due to how daring it is?)

    But that's my opinion.

    I don't really care about covers. One notable case, though, was You. Fantastic cover...boring protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest problem with The Season was that it completely took over the murder mystery aspect of the book. Instead of focusing on that the characters got sidetracked by this new mystery. I think it did have merit, especially to the series as a whole, but oh was it daring! It completely shocked me. I was not used reading about those things in Y.A.

      It's interesting how personal cover art can get for books. I see books people are raving over the cover for and I really don't get it and then I see people saying the opposite about covers that I do like. It's interesting to hear how you'd switch them around too!

      Delete