Friday, May 4, 2012

Book in Review: Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater


Cover:



Publisher:

Scholastic

Summary:

Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.



Why I Read This:

Counts for my Fill in the Gaps reading challenge.


Thoughts:


**As I am half way through Linger, I debated whether I should wait to review the series as a whole. In the end, I'm too excited to share my thoughts for that to even be possible.

I wasn't sure what to expect when picking up Shiver. I knew it was a pretty popular series (with blue text instead of black) about werewolves and that it was also a love story but beyond that I admit I was pretty clueless.  I don't think I even read the back cover before I started the book. So it was with a completely unbiased viewpoint that I read Shiver. 


From the moment I started reading I was enthralled. Maggie's writing was much different than anything I have found in other young adult novels. It's anything but simple. It brings up imagery and emotions and feels very poetic. Yet, it was also very easy, very fast to get through, and to understand what she was trying to say. It is completely her own style of writing and that was a very refreshing aspect of it.


I fell in love with Grace and even more I feel in love with Sam. On the surface he seemed so much like the typical "emo kid" but there was so much to him and both his sadness and fears. I fell in love with Grace's friends and even Isabel and Jack even though they weren't so nice to her. 


Most of all I was completely stirred and blown away by Maggie's take on werewolf mythology. It was just...brilliant. And taking that mythology and making it mean something in every aspect of Grace and Sam's lives - from their childhood, to their curiosity about each other, and finally to their love story and friendships. 


Shiver ended on such a high note. I couldn't have asked for anything more. It was the most well done ending to a book I had read in quite some time. Yet at the same time it made me hungry for more...much more. 


I am on a mission to aquire all things Maggie Stiefvater.


And p.s. the blue text was strange at first, but I got used to it. And then...it really made sense.





My Rating:






Disclaimer:


I bought my copy.

 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this series:) The 3rd book was quite a disappointment though><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope that is a disappointment as in still good but not up to the standards of the first two? I am really loving Linger as well. Hopefully I wont feel that way as well :/

      Delete