Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book in Review: Possession (Possession #1) by Elana Johnson


Cover:




Publisher:

Simon & Schuster

Summary:

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.




Why I Read This:

I read the first few lines and it sucked me in! I also have the opportunity to participate in the upcoming blog tour for Surrender and needed to read the first book to catch up.
Thoughts:

Elana Johnson has created a creepy world in which people are controlled through thinkers, those who can influence others by thought and special ability. The world in which Violet lives is filled with rules. Rules are supposed to make the world a better place, safer, but to me everything felt so controlled and calculated that it actually felt as though the people were just pawns in some sort of video game. In fact if I had to try and describe the world, the first thing I'd point to is some kind of sci-fi RPG.

As for Vi and Jag, I felt that their relationship moved too quickly. It was if they had just met and then all of the sudden they were in love. I think I would have enjoyed the story a little more if they had stayed friends for a while longer and then  fallen in love slowly throughout the book. Yet one of the most interesting concepts in the story was that of a Choker - someone you love so much it chokes you up to even think about them. My favourite character was actually Zenn. He was mysterious and you never really got to know his motivations and the plan behind what he was doing. I really liked him and every time Vi thought of him I was hoping she would choose him instead.

I am excited to see what happens next in Surrender. After the ending, a few things were unsettling. In that good kind of way that makes you creeped out and want to find out what happens next. I have a feeling I will like that installment even more, although Possession was a good start and certainly a different kind of world, unlike any I have read in YA fiction before.



My Rating:




Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

4 comments:

  1. Relationships moving too quickly seem to be a frequent problem.

    That's why the main relationship in my book takes months until they even consider going steady. And even then, it's probably going to be Book 2 territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book sitting on my shelf right now, I'm glad the world building is good even if the romance is a little bit too fast. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting I have seen this book around but I haven't really read a summary and your review really wants to make me check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...like pawns in a video game..i am curious now ...this sounds different. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete