Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Book in Review: Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2) by Maggie Stiefvater


Cover:


Publisher:

Scholastic

Summary:

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.


Why I Read This:

Counts for my Fill in the Gaps reading challenge.


Thoughts:

Warning: *THIS REVIEW CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR BOOK ONE*

Recently, I read Shiver, the first book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. I fell in love with everything about it - Maggie's writing style, the characters, the new perspective on werewolve mythology, and probably a thousand things in between. The book ended on a semi-cliffhanger. I have never been more grateful to have the next book in a series sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

I was worried - boy was I worried! Could the second book live up to what I had just read? According to some comments here and on Goodreads, the answer was no. Okay, more worried! I started it because I couldn't NOT find out what happens next. I promptly got a headache from the green text. I decided to slow down, let my eyes get used to the new colour and enjoy what I could. 

What I found then was something although not what I expected of the next book in the series, still quite interesting. Here are some examples:


What I expected: Dual perspectives (Sam/Grace)
What I got: Four perspectives (Sam/Grace/Isabel/Cole)


What I expected: For Grace's parents to stay the same - uncaring and quite ignorant of what was going on in their own home
What I got: Grace's parents throwing the story all out of whack by suddenly hating Sam and generally being control freaks


What I expected: To meet Sam's wolf family
What I got: Meeting the new wolves


What I expected: For Grace and her friends to deal with Olivia being missing and have to..do something with that
What I got: A very small snapshot and then, well, nothing

So, very different from what I expected. I can see where all the complaints are coming from. Maggie didn't really do much of anything that I expected so if others were expecting the same things then it's easy to see why they'd be dissappointed.

What I came to though was that even though nothing was as expected I was still in love with it all. I loved the new characters, I loved getting in to other people's heads and seeing the story from their perspectives, I loved the twist that Grace's parents threw into the story because even though it seemed out of place it made Grace really fight for what she wanted. I really wished I had also been able to meet Sam's wolf family and to have Olivia back or some kind of resolve there but for the moment I was able to let go of those things and enjoy the story for other reasons. Anyways, it probably would have been too crowded with those things thrown in on top of everything else.

I am once again in awe of Maggie's writing. I love it all. So many times I had to stop and reflect on the words because they were so beautifully written, or they made me think of something in a whole new light.

There are very few series that can impress me as much in the second book when I already consider the first a perfect read. So far, The Wolves of Mercy Falls is one of those. I understand people's frustrations but I personally couldn't see past them and call them anything but a wonderful, unexpected twist.


My Rating:







Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

 

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing what you think of the third book. I liked the first two, but my letdown came at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad! I haven't been *spoiled* at all. I haven't read anything about the books so whatever it is if I'm disappointed it's going to be a real surprise. I'm so curious to know though. I love the first two so if I hate the ending I'll be very disappointed too!

      Delete