Friday, May 25, 2012

Book in Review: Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe


Cover:




Publisher:

Viking Juvenile

Summary:

When high school junior Sara wins a coveted scholarship to study ballet, she must sacrifice everything for her new life as a professional dancer-in-training. Living in a strange city with a host family, she's deeply lonely-until she falls into the arms of Remington, a choreographer in his early twenties. At first, she loves being Rem's muse, but as she discovers a surprising passion for writing, she begins to question whether she's chosen the right path. Is Rem using her, or is it the other way around? And is dancing still her dream, or does she need something more? This debut novel in verse is as intense and romantic as it is eloquent.



Why I Read This:

It was a novel-in-verse about ballet. I thought that would make a great combination.
Thoughts:

I was really happy to finally get a chance to read Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe. I don't know what took me so long, especially since it was a book I pre-ordered and came out way back in October of last year.



Audition turned out to be one of those books I wish I could have appreciated more. I don't have much knowledge of ballet (or dance) except for what I've seen in movies and tv. I never had the privaledge of being involved in any sort of program and had never really learned much about it. Because of that I felt quite lost at times throughout the book. The descriptions of the movements and using ballet as a sort of metaphor were written quite beautiful. Unfortunately, most of these are never truly described and those that were became lost on me. I just could not picture what was being described, even though the words flowed so nicely.


On the other hand I did enjoy the character growth and social aspect of the story. Getting to know Sara's host family, especially Julio was a nice touch. Sara's fear that she wont be accepted into the group of ballerinas because of where she came from was real touching as well. Then there was her school life which seemed at times much happier than her ballet life. Remington, though, Sara's love interest and the guy she ends up dating throughout the book really infuriated me. With the way he treated Sara I had wished she would have stuck up for herself more. I suppose in a way that was the point but he wasn't a character I loved to hate. I just hated him.


Overall, it was a nice story. There were things I liked about it and things I didn't like. The verse added to the effect of the story well, especially because ballet is such an artistic endevour to begin with. I'm glad to have it in my collection, although I feel as though there are many more people out there who will understand the story better than I did.



My Rating:




Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.




3 comments:

  1. Great review. I've heard many good things about Audition. I did ballet when I was younger, so I think I shall really enjoy it.

    Kandee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review. I love the cover and love dancer stories. I will definitly consider the not knowing much about dancing though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard when something is so technical that it's hard to understand for the reader. It's what I appreciated so much about 'Life on the Edge', that you could really picture all the skating manoeuvres and you could appreciate the skating even when you didn't know the exact move, because you got the general idea of it.

    ReplyDelete