Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book in Review: Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay


Cover:



Publisher:

Katherine Tegan Books
Summary:

My wish is to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love.

(If only it were that easy.

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer—from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She’s left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this “summer vacation” has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you’ve watched your parents’ affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you’ve lost it?

Love & Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl’s journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.



Why I Read This:

April is National Poetry Month.

Thoughts:

Being a contemporary novel-in-verse with the focus on a love story I had a hard time passing this one up. I love novels-in-verse but I find it difficult to discover ones that aren't historical, issues related, or paranormal. I was hoping that this one would be a little light-hearted as well.

Let's start with this. Although not as light-hearted as I'd hoped, the love story was quite delicious. In fact, in Love and Leftovers you are treated to not one but two romances the main character Marcie experiences. Even though you may be rolling your eyes right now saying "oh no...not another love triangle!" it wasn't really like that all. In Love and Leftovers it isn't two guys fighting over Marcie but a miscalculation in character that leads her to cheating on her boyfriend while living in another city.

Both J.D. and Linus were loveable guys in their own ways. The two romances were quite different so it's not like you are getting two similar guys and Marcie just can't choose between them. One delivers her the passion and touch she so desperately wants and the other the emotional friendship she also needs. That made it hard for me to watch the two of the guys getting caught up in her mess and made me loose respect for her a little as well.

There is also very interesting drama going on with Marcie's mom and dad. This had a lot to do with the plot and I found it just as interesting watching events unfold with them as I did with the boyfriend situation. It was just one of the many reasons why I had a hard time putting this one down, especially towards the end.

In the end I'm so glad I was able to read this book. It was very entertaining. I didn't feel like anyone was preaching to me or trying to teach me something, although I'm sure many readers will learn something as Marcie herself ends up learning very valuable lessons. This is a great book and one I'd recommend to anyone who wants a quick read with some substance behind it.


My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read a novel in verse. I might just have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. {new follower here}

    The trials and errors in the teenage world. This book seems like it is something that I could relate to. Thank for sharing.

    {http://www.justonemorechapter.net}

    ReplyDelete