Friday, April 13, 2012

Book in Review: Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun #1) by Martha Bourke



Cover:



Publisher:

Balam Press
Summary:

DECEMBER 21, 2012 Will that fateful day destroy our world, or did the Mayans have something else in mind?

Maya Delaney knows. Unfortunately.

Maya Delaney is just an average sixteen-year-old. She’s busy dealing with exams, her soon to be ex-boyfriend and fitting in.

But Maya’s got bigger problems. She’s hiding a major secret from her dad and having strange visions she can’t control.

In her struggle to figure out who she is, she learns that she is meant to fulfill an ancient Mayan Prophesy and bring forth a New Age on earth.

Will the spirit magic Maya wields be enough to defeat Toltec, an evil society bent on keeping her from her destiny?

Or will that destiny destroy her?


Why I Read This:

It sounded fun. Also, for the blog tour.

Thoughts:

This was a very fresh, very new take on shifters for me. I don't know if the shape-shifting lore is based on real world Mexican mythology but it did make a for a interesting story and that's one of the things that was really great about the book. The fact that Maya didn't have to hide who she was because she lived somewhere that knew about the shifters already - that was really cool. I was also loving the 2012 Mayan end-of-the-world scenario too. Not making the romance between Maya and Matt the focus of the story was a great way to go as well.

Another thing I liked about the story - it was really fast paced and easy to read. There is so much that happens between the start of the book and the end. When the book starts out Maya doesn't even know she is a shifter yet. By the end of the book she's already taking on the world (with her very awesome twin best friends and adorable, loveable boyfriend...oh yeah and there are some other people in there as well).

I think most people would really love this one because it is just so fun to read. The only problem I had was that the plotting felt to me like something I have been seeing a lot lately in paranormal books, especially in indie and small press. So despite the uniqueness of the characters, setting, and all that it did feel a little bit like I've seen this story before.
 

The short of my opinion: Jaguar sun is perfect for when you need to throw a little adventure into your life!

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I received a free copy from Kismet Blog Tours for participation in the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment