Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Book in Review: Far From You by Lisa Schroeder

Cover:

 
Publisher:

Simon Pulse
 
Summary:

Lost and alone...down the rabbit hole.

Years have passed since Alice lost her mother to cancer, but time hasn't quite healed the wound. Alice copes the best she can by writing her music, losing herself in her love for her boyfriend, and distancing herself from her father and his new wife.

But when a deadly snowstorm traps Alice with her stepmother and newborn half sister, she'll face issues she's been avoiding for too long. As Alice looks to the heavens for guidance, she discovers something wonderful.

Perhaps she's not so alone after all....


Why I Read This:

To finally read a book by Lisa Schroeder! Also, in anticipation of National Poetry Month.

Thoughts:

This book is about a girl who after going on a road trip to California gets stuck in a freak snowstorm in a car with her step-mother she doesn't get along with and her new baby sister she is immensely jealous of. It is a survival story. It is also a story about mending relationships.

This is my first read by Lisa Schroeder, an author who has written many novels-in-verse. I have had I Heart You, You Haunt Me on my to-read list forever but found Far From You at the library instead. I decided to give this one a try as well.

I really loved Lisa's verse. It was easy reading yet she managed to say so much with a short amount of space. I didn't care too much for the main character Alice at first. She seemed a little bit of a brat but once I got to know her story more throughout the book it was a lot more understandable.

The book took a little while to get going for me. However, once it turned into a survival story I almost couldn't put it down. I liked the addition of the angel that Alice sees. I wasn't really sure if it was all in Alice's head or if the author was trying to say something else, for afterall, Alice is a spiritual girl who likes to go to church and write songs to perform there. I liked seeing how Alice, Ivy, and Alice's stepmother survived this ordeal and their strained relationship at the beginning of the book made the ending even more satisfying.


My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.




6 comments:

  1. First, love the cover, second your review has me adding this to my list. I love that the survival part sucked you in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! I'm glad you liked the review. I hope you get a chance to read it :)

      Delete
  2. Nice cover and Great review,, this sound interesting,, Thank for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a lovely cover, isn't it? I think that was one of the things that made me pick it up off the library shelf.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Lisa! :)

    I've read almost all her stuff (haven't read her most recent MG yet), but she totally makes me happy. I've seriously enjoyed everything of hers that I've read, but I'll be honest- This isn't my favorite, probably my least favorite of her verse novels, actually (although that's a little bit like saying orange skittles are my least favorite... They still taste amazing. :P)

    Anyway- My absolute MOST favorite of hers is The Day Before. :) But ya, pretty much just Lisa Schroeder FTW! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to find more of her books to read. I'll have to see if my library has The Day Before.

      Mmmm.....skittles :D

      Delete