Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book in Review: a BAD BOY can be GOOD for a GIRL by Tanya Lee Stone


Cover:



Publisher:

Wendy Lamb Books


Summary:

Josie, Nicolette, and Aviva all get mixed up with a senior boy–a cool, slick, sexy boy who can talk them into doing almost anything he wants. In a blur of high school hormones and personal doubt, each girl struggles with how much to give up and what ultimately to keep for herself. How do girls handle themselves? How much can a boy get away with? And in the end, who comes out on top? A bad boy may always be a bad boy. But this bad boy is about to meet three girls who won’t back down.

Why I Read This:

April is Poetry Month.

Thoughts:

This book was sort of a weird reading experience for me. At first, when I bought this, I didn't know it was going to be a novel-in-verse. I had seen it on a few blogs with great reviews and when I got a chance to buy it, that was all I remembered. So it was a surprise, but a good surprise. Then I saw that the book also switched view points between three different girls and I wasn't sure how that was going to work, especially since the book was so short to begin with.

Although I had some reservations about the switching view points, somehow the author really made that work. I enjoyed the flow of the writing and the way she also made each girl have their own voice. None of them seemed too much the same, all uniue in their own way, and even a little variation in the poetry style. I don't know if Tanya Lee Stone has written another novel-in-verse, but if she has I would definitely go ahead and pick it up if I saw it.

What I didn't like though was that I couldn't seem to shake the feeling that the whole message of the book was basically a PSA (Public Service Announcement) for teens. I get the whole books having messages thing. I like books that have a meaningful purpose to them. My problem here is that there wasn't really anything to the story except the message. Like I said above, the book is actually really short. I think maybe if it was longer, these three girls could have had more going on for them and it would have had a bit more impact to it for me.

Another thing about the story is I didn't really get that "bad boy" feeling from the guy these girls go out with, at least not until about halfway through. The problem is that all we really know about him to start is that he is pressuring girls into having sex with him. Throughout the story I got a little more of that bad boy feeling from seeing what he does with the other two girls and seeing how they react to him. I really did like Josie, Nicollete, and Aviva and loved seeing them grow in the short time I got to spend with them. Nicollette, especially is a character I don't see too often, as she actually wants to have sex with this guy. And Aviva was cool. I would have liked to hang out with her.

Overall, a good read, although I did have some problems with it, mainly that it was too short for what it had to offer.





My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.


2 comments:

  1. Hm, I haven't heard of this one before. It sounds like it could be decent. It stinks when a book is short and could really use the length to do more indepth explaining.

    Great review. :)

    Jenny at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete