Friday, March 30, 2012

My Fair Book Date: Review and Wrap-up post: Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder



At the beginning of February, I signed up to participate in an event called My Fair Book Date, hosted by Amber at Down the Rabbit Hole and Jazmin of Books!!!!

The idea was to come up with a list of 5 books in our favourite genre, then we'd be matched up with another blogger who would pick one of these books for us to read during the month of February (match-ups were anonymous). 

At the end of the month we would get a survey of questions to answer so we could tell everyone how our blind date with a book went. But for whatever reason, Amber never sent us out the survey and Jazmin suggested I write up a post with a review instead. So here I am! I had a great time with this event so it would be a shame to let this one go unwritten any longer.

My list of 5 options (dystopian):

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder
Blood Red Road by 
Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card
and another book I can't quite remember which one though!

My partner chose for me:



Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.


I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

Here's her reason for choosing this one out of the 5 books I listed.

I've chosen Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder for Erika, and here's my reason: 
 
It's one of my favourite dystopians, and sadly the series was ended at just two books, instead of more that were originally planned because they weren't selling as well as the publishers had hoped they would, which is a shame because it is SO GOOD! It's set in a very unique world, and it's full of action and excitement - lots of tension and a huge cliffhanger at the end leaving you needing the next book! Trella, the main character, is awesome, and she's determined and brave and great to read about. There's a little smidgen of romance too, not so much that it takes over the plotline, but enough to keep romance fans happy, I think! I really hope you enjoy(ed) it! :) 

What I Thought:

This book is set sometime in the future where people live inside, on levels. Trella lives in the lower levels and is a cleaner for all the pipes. There are other sorts of workers down below, mostly what we would consider the "dirty" jobs. As a result, the upper levels and the lower levels have a very strained relationship, basically hating each other. And there is a prophecy that says all this will end one day and they will be set free.

The story has a lot of action in it which I wasn't expecting. Trella spends a lot of time running around to different parts of the lower levels and even finding her way into the uppers. But my favourite parts were the scenes where Trella took some time to reflect on what was happening and try to figure out clues to the prophecy. I also loved the parts where she was working together with the others, where she would find out randomly that a stranger was trying to help and then she'd get to understanding them a bit better.

I didn't quite care for most of the older characters, especially the ones from the upper levels. I was also really frustrated by the ending where Trella ends up figuring out the prophecy. I expected something to happen and was really hoping for it. It almost seemed like that's what the author wanted us to believe and then she did something completly different.

I did end up liking the little spark of hope at the end and it is the one thing that will keep me reading the series. After reading my first Snyder book, I will also keep her other books in mind. I hear the Study series is amazing.

My rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.

More thoughts on My Fair Book Date:

Overall I think this was a great experience. My partner chose a book I had put off reading for a long time. Now I can finally say I've read it. And since it was my first book by this author, she (or he?) ended up introducing me to a new author I will continue to read in the future. I may not have given this book 5 stars but I did enjoy it. 

I wish I had the opportunity to do this kind of thing more often and hopefully it will be revived again next year or in some other format in the near future.

As a side note, I thought it interesting to point out that I also ended up reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer (also from my list of choices) and enjoyed it very much.  

My choice for another blogger:

You've heard about my experience, now I want to tell you about the book I got to choose for another blogger!

My partner for picking a book was Debz from Debz Bookshelf. She also picked 5 books fromthe dystopian genre. Here is her list:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
 
I ended up choosing Cinder for Debz because of her very obvious love for fairy tale retellings. I also noticed that she hadn't reviewed too many new books and in February this book was *almost* brand new.
 
I'm happy to see Debz gave Cinder a 5 star rating. You can see her review here.

Who chose my book date?

I still don't know who chose my book date for me. If it was you, I want to say thank you! And please let me know in the comments if it was you. I think you had a great reason to choose Inside Out and would love to know what other books you recommend.



3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I feel terrible about not posting up something to wrap this up. I had a lot of stuff going on these past two months but I will do a wrap-up post and I'll point people in your direction. I really enjoyed reading about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I noticed you were taking some extra time off so I asked Jazmin and she liked the idea of just doing a review. I just had to add the extras in though :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for finally revealing yourself! I was getting a little bit anxious! I guess this means it's time for me to reveal myself (:
    I liked your review of Inside Out. I'm planning on reading it sometime in April!

    ~Debz

    ReplyDelete