Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March Release in Review: Embrace (Embrace #1)* by Jessica Shirvington

Cover:



Publisher:

Sourcebooks Fire

Summary:

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before.

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…



Why I Read This:


Counts for the 2012 Debut Author Challenge.


Thoughts:


I didn't realise this until now but angels have kind of crept up on me. I have found a few series that I like and look forward to reading the next books in. So I guess I have gotten used to the worlds and the way that angels are portrayed in fantasy, just a little bit. Jessica Shirvington has kept some of those things alive that I love in other books and at the same time made it completely her own.

I loved the idea of the Grigori - half human and half essence of an angel. And I loved most of all their purpse on earth - protectors of free will. And I liked that there is so much to learn about these creatures. The author doesn't give all the information at once and that made it really interesting for me to keep reading the story to find out more.

The characters were so interesting too. Everyone had a fascinating backstory, espcially Pheonix. She really kept me guessing about him. Was he good or evil? Were the little hints about him true or not? That's another thing the author does well, is not making everything black and white. There are angels of dark and light but none of them are purely good or purely evil. Same goes with both of Violet's love interests. I guess you could say Phoenix was the bad boy and Lincoln the good guy, but it didn't seem that straight forward to me. And even though I liked Lincoln more, I didn't actually mind when Violet was with Phoenix.

This one felt really deep and yet pure fun at the same time. I guess it depends on how you read it, how you will feel about the book at the end. It's one of those stories that for me could have gone really wrong, but luckily I was in the right mood for it and totally enjoyed it. There were moments of calm and where the characters just sat around talked and then there were really cool action scenes and so much drama. For me, it was like getting the best of both worlds.

I absolutely love this book. I can't wait to read Entice and for once that's not because of a huge cliffhanger at the end. The story seemed to wrap for the most part. But I can't wait to see what happens next in Violet's life, how she learns and grows and how a few of the unanswered questions get played out.

My Rating:





Disclaimer:


I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for my hones opinion.

* This series is also known as The Violet Eden Chapters



1 comment:

  1. This was on my radar love your thoughts on it..thanks

    ReplyDelete