Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Book in Review: Dead to You by Lisa McMann

Cover:



Publisher:

Simon Pulse

Summary:

Ethan was abducted from his front yard when he was just seven years old. Now, at sixteen, he has returned to his family. It's a miracle... at first. Then the tensions start to build. His reintroduction to his old life isn't going smoothly, and his family is tearing apart all over again. If only Ethan could remember something, anything, about his life before, he'd be able to put the pieces back together. But there's something that's keeping his memory blocked. Something unspeakable...

Why I Read This:

It sounded like I'd really enjoy it. I've read Lisa's other book, Cryer's Cross, which seemed to be in the same style and I enjoyed that one.

Thoughts:

This book was incredibly intense! There was so much drama and conflict between the characters. Lisa has written about a very serious situation here and she really does a good job of taking the reader through all the emotions of the different family members involved. I've never known anyone who was kidnapped and definitely not anyone who was returned to their family years later. But I try to imagine what the family members would be feeling and I can't come up with anything other than what I've found on these pages. It would be incredibly difficult on everyone and each would have to deal with it in their own way.

As for the characters - I loved them all! Ethan was probably even the character I liked the least. I couldn't believe how he'd go back home and then tell people he remembered things that he didn't, that he either read on the family website or was just saying he did. Even Blake who was so distrusting and constantly trying to undermine Ethan was likeable to me. After all, he was just trying to keep his family from being hurt even more and it would be very hard to have a "stranger" come live with you and have your parents give so much attention to him.

I don't know what it is about this book and Lisa's writing, but I was able to read it in less than a day which is extrememly rare for me because I like to spend more time "getting to know" the characters and get a good feel for the writing style before I rush through it. I had no trouble at all connecting to the story, the writing, and the characters. The ending did throw me. I guess I could see it coming but I was hoping that Lisa would go in the other direction. It was such a huge twist to everything this book seemed to be about that I'm still wondering if I'm okay with it or not. Either way, I hope Lisa keeps writing books like these with serious issues and darkness to them because I think...I really like her writing style!

Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.


2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this. I've heard a lot of good things and it sounds like a book that really hooks you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds like a good book. She certainly touched on a very sensitive and emotional topic. I can't imagine being gone for most of my life from my family and then being returned to them.

    I just got chills thinking about it.

    Jenny at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete