Friday, March 16, 2012

Book in Review: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer


Cover:



Publisher:

Feiwel & Friends

Summary:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl...

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction.
Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.


Why I Read This:

This counts towards the 2012 Debut Author Challenge.

Thoughts:

Ohhhh....Cinder.

Initially I put off this book as something I wasn't interested in. I mean, Cinderella, as a cyborg? I love Cinderella but I am really not a robotics-sci-fi kind of girl. Then, the more I thought about it the more excited I became. I don't know what it was that changed my mind but suddenly I had to have it, went out and bought myself a copy, and sat down to read it right away.

It was so wonderful. I always think that if I'm going to read a re-telling of any story, it needs to stand on it's own. Marissa Meyer has made Cinderella into such a different story than the traditional version. It is both creative and fun. It was much different than I thought when I first heard about it and had so much going on besides the Cinderella as a cyborg aspect of it.

I loved Kai, the prince of New Beijing. He was the perfect love interest for Cinder. He was much more than a pampered prince. He was very smart, down to earth, and kind. Getting pieces of the story from his perspective made me so happy.

Cinder ended on a really great note. I loved it. There was so much going on in the story and everything came together in a really fun, entertaining way. What will happen to Cinder next?

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Cinder and I can't wait to see where it goes either! I'm always slightly leery about re-tellings but I agree that this one was done well!

    Great review!

    Jenny at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you like cinder. i loved it as well and can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete