Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Book in Review: The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation #1) by Avery Williams

Cover:



Publisher:

Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers


Summary:

Seraphina has been alive since the 1300's, made immortal when the boy she was beginning to love back then, Cyrus, saved her from death with a strange liquid - a method of alchemy that lets them swap bodies with any human being. But now, in modern day America, Sera has decided that she can no longer bear the weight of stealing people's lives so she can keep living on. So she decides to run away from Cyrus and end her stolen existence once and for all. Her plan goes awry when she accidentally takes the body of a dying teenager and feels forced to take over her life. When the lines between Sera and Kailey's identity begin to blur, Sera finds a reason to desire to live once more. But she can't shake the guilt of having taken Kailey's life, even if she was dying. And what if Cyrus finds her?

Why I Read This:

The 2012 Debut Author Challenge.

Thoughts:

I really had no clue what this book was going to be about, except for the vague idea that it had something to do with reincarnation or something like that. Then the book started out and there was this very enticing guy with a potion for immortality. I thought it was a really interesting idea and I like the way that the author explained how it all worked. Basically, there are these people who are almost immortal but the only way they can stay alive is to steal other people's bodies. The incorporation of alchemy into something like body snatching was intriguing to me.

I found Seraphina's boyfriend Cyrus (the alchemist) to be a creep of a guy. I can see why she wanted to get away from him. At the same time he made a great villain that had Sera on her toes and made the read so much more interesting. Sera herself was an interesting character, as she has lived such a long time under Cyrus' eye and couldn't wait to find a way out. She had her moments.

This book also attempts to deal with some serious issues, like suicide, and tries to have a generally positive opinion on life and the message of finding something to live for. But overall, I felt that the book just didn't do enough with that storyline. I feel like if suicide is going to be a part of the story it should take a lot more for the characters to open back up to the possibility of life.

I thought this was a good, entertaining book. A nice start to Avery Williams writing career. At the same time, I do wish I had felt more of a connection to the characters and messages. I am looking forward to seeing more of Seraphina and Cyrus and hopefully as the series progresses, their stories will make even more of an impact on me.


My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.

1 comment:

  1. The reviews for this have been so-so. I still want to read it but I'm not in a rush.

    ReplyDelete