Monday, February 27, 2012

February Release in Review: Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral


Cover:



Publisher:

Razorbill

Summary:

After her mother died, Glory retreated into herself and her music. Her single father raised her as a piano prodigy, with a rigid schedule and the goal of playing sold-out shows across the globe. Now, as a teenager, Glory has disappeared. As readers flash back to the events leading up to her disappearance, they see a girl on the precipice of disaster.

Why I Read This:

It sounded unique. It also counts for the Debut Author Challenge and the YA Contemporary Challenges I am participating in.

My Thoughts:

This book wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. Told entirely in pictures, interspersed with dialogue and chat, this is really more of a graphic novel (although I'm not sure you can call it that either).

The entire book was almost like looking through a scrapbook. You get pieces of everything that has happened, but YOU have to figure out what it all means. There is no one beside you, guiding you along except for the linear placement of items and photographs.

I thought the story was very cute. Basically, this girl Gloria is a famous pianist. One day a boy, Francisco, moves in next door and she falls in love with him. Then her father wisks her away to Europe to work on her career in music but she misses Fransisco so much that she keeps slipping into the song Chopsticks (a reminder of her days spent with Frank) during recitals.

I liked the fresh new take on storytelling. The inclusion of links to youtube videos was unique. I actually went online and watched them as the story unfolded. I thought it a bit weird though. They aren't made for the book - they are real people's youtube videos. So do these people know they are being watched by some readers because their link was in a novel?

All in all I enjoyed it. Although I had a hard time filling in the gaps for myself in some spots and am not convinced the storytelling style completely worked for me, I would let other readers know about this one that enjoy graphic novels or experimental writing - this one is cute.

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't encountered this book or something like this over here. Perhaps the author have tracked down the owners of the videos and they gave consent to be included in the book. Now, that's making me curious. Story carried out through mostly pictures yet not a graphic novel. hmmm :D Intriguing format.

    ReplyDelete