Monday, February 6, 2012

Book in Review: A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2) by Beth Revis


Cover:



Publisher:

Razorbill

Summary:

Godspeed was fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.
 

It's been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies.
 

But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.
 

In book two of the Across the Universe trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Beth Revis mesmerizes us again with a brilliantly crafted mystery filled with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.

Why I Read This:

To continue reading the series.

Thoughts:

A Million Suns was so good! I liked it even more than Across the Universe, which to me means the story is getting better and much more interesting as it goes along. Also, Across the Universe had that whole "The Season" thing which I didn't like at all and was incredibly distracting for me to the rest of the story. But I'm so glad I went ahead and read A Million Suns.

My favourite part of the whole story has to be the wild goose chase Orian had Amy go on. The whole reason I started this series to begin with was the promise of "mystery...in outer space". Well, there is definitely a mystery in this one (actually there are two...but Orions was my favourite over the murders). And although I didn't really get why Orian would choose to give Amy all the information he wanted her to know in little bits and pieces, it was really fun and had me turning the pages. I guessed what this was all about almost from the beginning. But I was pleasently surprised that my guess wasn't spot-on and the reveal had me melting in my seat for more ATU installments before I even turned another page.

As for the characters, they all really came alive. There is character development in this one, especially for Elder. It was actually hard to watch his story as he seemed at times like a little kid who wanted his way and didn't know how to get it except for by shouting at people. And Amy seemed like she was off in her own little world. Even when things are falling apart on the ship all she seems to care about is figuring out Orian's message. But what was redeeming about those two aspects of the story was that Beth Revis could see this too and off course the characters around them give Amy and Elder a chance to grow out of that. And Amy and Elder weren't even the only interesting characters. Bartie, Victria, Doc, the Shippers. We get to learn about so many characters and get to care about them as well.

A wonderful follow-up to Across the Universe! I'll be keeping my eye out for Shades of Earth - next January that is!

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment