Friday, February 10, 2012

Book in Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler


Cover:



Publisher:

Razorbill

Summary:

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.


Why I Read This:

Sounded like a great nostalgia book for me. I liked the concept of seeing the future through Facebook.

My Thoughts:

This was my first book read by both Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. I think they make great team. The changing perspectives between Josh and Emma were cute and fun. They had me guessing what was going on in each of their heads and why they would react to each other the way they did. Then I'd get to find out at some point later in the story.

As for the setting - 1996 - this was probably my favourite part of the story. I wasn't yet in high school in 1996 but remember a lot of the cultural references, especially the music. I also found myself laughing over some things. Like the free AOL trial CD. Those things seemed to be all over the place back then. I remember at one point we had so many my sister decided to make "art" out them to put on her wall. Anyways, I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. The nostalgia was fantastic!

There were some parts of the story that I didn't like so much though. Emma was way too obsessive over her possible future. It made sense the first two or three times she logged on to AOL and saw Facebook. But after a while it just started to get annoying. She analyzed every single facebook status update so thoroughly that even what she was eating for dinner had her anxiously trying to change the outcome of her future. But obviously, I wouldn't have kept reading if that part of the story wasn't compelling enough - and it was. Even though I did find Emma annoying at times, her obsession did turn into an "Oh no, what is she going to do next?" guessing game for me, which had me turning the pages to find out more.

The other aspect of the story was the friendship between Emma and Josh. The two had some fun tension going on as well as some funny moments. I liked that the story focused on their friendship and even though there was always the possibility of love that it never took over too much. It added a lot to the nostalgic element for me.

Overall, an enjoyable read!

Rating:



Disclaimer:

I read a library copy.


3 comments:

  1. It's true Emma was very obsessed about making her future perfect. I enjoyed the 90s style of it though it was pretty fun. Great review Erika! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting idea for a novel...I remember all those AOL CDs too!

    ReplyDelete