Friday, January 13, 2012

New Year's Interview with a blogger: Giselle from Xpresso Reads


This New Year's I've asked a few bloggers to come and share some of their reflections and goals with us. Today I'm interviewing Giselle from Xpresso Reads. Check out what she has to say about her most memorable reads and books she's looking forward to.



What are your top three most memorable reads (good or bad) of 2011?

Oh my god I've read SO many memorable books in 2011 that it's hard to choose! The one I'm sure belongs on this list, though, is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I absolutely Loved this book and it has become one of my all-time favourites. It's nothing like I've ever read before and it totally took me by surprise. Especially since I didn't think I'd like it very much. It was getting so much hype and I was thinking "what can be so great about a circus book?". I'd never read a circus book before and I was expecting it to be lame. Boy was I ever wrong! It's so much more than just a circus book. If you haven't read this one yet you absolutely must! I promise you will never forget it!

Ok now let me think… these other two I've enjoyed recently and I know they'll stick with me for a long time.

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout is a dang sexy book! The male lead - Daemon - is an incredibly gorgeous and just plain, well.. irritatingly sexy character! He's the kind of guy you'd want to punch and kiss at the same time. He's infuriating but he looks hot doing it! The chemistry between him and the protagonist is one of the best I've ever read. Jennifer is a genius and thus we must praise her! *bows at her feet*

The third one I have to add on this list is Ashfall by Mike Mullin. This one is definitely going to stay in my mind for a while. Especially during our upcoming end of the world hype (choose any of the dates you please). A huge volcano has erupted and the ash that is falling is incredibly hard to live with - literally it's killing all source of foods, animals and a lot of humans. It was So intense and terrifying because this situation could Really happen. It also has a strong message about humanity and what it takes to survive. It's incredibly realistic. All of it. The violence, the crimes, how inhuman a person can become. It's a definite eye opener!

What three books are you most looking forward to reading in 2012?

These questions are so hard!! *whimpers*

Ok, if I MUST pick 3, I'd have to pick Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin which is a retelling of gothic story (by the same name) of Edgar Allan Poe. The cover is what made me check this one out at first it's incredible! I love gothic stories, they're creepy and just always have a great suspenseful vibe that I really enjoy. 

I'm also super excited for The Calling by Kelley Armstrong - the 2nd book in her Darkness Rising series. Kelley is one of my favourite authors ever. I've loved everything she has written. Her Women of the Otherworld series is fantastic! The Darkest Powers trilogy is in my favourites as well and I'm really looking forward to reading what she's going to give us in this sequel. The Gathering - book 1 - was great but it left us hanging at the end! So cruel!

For my third pick I'm going to go cliché here and say Insurgent. Because Divergent was FREAKING AWESOME! That is all.


There’s an old prophecy based on the Mayan calendar which says 2012 will bring in the end of days. 2012 is also a good year for dystopian and apocalyptic reads. If you were to write a story, what do you think you’d have “cause” the apocalypse (or society’s downfall)?

Ooh there have been a lot of awesome scenarios and theories. If I was writing a story, I'd go with something a lot more believable than most, scientifically I mean. I won't believe the world will suddenly rain blood and we will all die of a strange new zombie disease. I'd go with an unusual planet alignment or, like Ashfall - a natural disaster. It makes a more believable apocalypse thus making the reader more scared. And I love books that just give you chills! Real chills. Zombies can be scary and everything, but they're fun-scary (Braaaiiiiiiins). 

But really, I think the Mayans just ran out of rock to write on!


This post was part of my New Year's Signature Collection event.
Watch out for more guest posts,  lists, reviews of January releases, author interviews, and more throughout January.


11 comments:

  1. Ooh this is me!! Yay! I'll tweet about it! Thanks for having me Erika! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) Thanks for tweeting about it!

      Delete
  2. fun interview. i just started obsidian and am really liking it. haven't gotten to wanting to punch daemon yet but we'll see. :) i am also really looking forward to masque of the red death. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But really, I think the Mayans just ran out of rock to write on!" LOL! I love Giselle, she's freaking awesome. Great interview! :-D

    New follower, btw...I see you're in Kitchener, I just live a few hours away from there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baha. It's totally what happened! I mean, they had to stop sometimes!! <3 you Marie!!

      Delete
    2. Ha! I know! It's fun to think about though.

      Delete
  4. I also can't wait for The Calling and Insurgent! So many good books coming out this year, though.

    Ooh and I agree, theories and plots that are quite believable and closer to home are definitely more scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I mean, what if we said the world ended on Dec 31st, since that's when our calendar is ending. Every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! Ashfall is definitely one that will stay with me too. I like the note of hope at the end too with the Mayans running out of rock. Makes it way less scary.

    ReplyDelete