Friday, January 27, 2012

January New Release in Review: A Tinfoil Sky by Cyndi Sand-Eveland

Cover:



Publisher:

Tundra Books

Summary:

Mel and her mother, Cecily, know what it’s like to live rough, whether it’s on the streets or in the apartment of an abusive man.When Cecily announces that they’ve had enough and that they are going to go home to her mother’s, Mel dreams of security, a comfortable bed, and a grandmother’s love seem to be about to come true. But some mistakes cannot be easily forgiven or erased. Her grandmother is not what Mel expects, and though the local library offers sanctuary, a real home seems beyond her grasp. Mel’s determination to rise above what fate has dealt is about to change that.

Cyndi Sand-Eveland’s work with homeless youth gives her characters an authenticity no reader will forget. Ultimately, a story of hope and acceptance, A Tinfoil Sky is a powerful, can’t-putit- down novel.


Why I Read This:

Impulse read based on cover and summary.

Thoughts:

For me, A Tinfoil Sky wasn't exactly the book I expected it to be. Because the book deals with homelessness and social issues I expected it to be much more emotional, darker, and grittier than it was. The story ended up focusing on the more positive aspects of Mel's life. The library was a huge focus and seemed much of the book's energy went into seeing if Mel would get a job there. The librarian and her son are very welcoming so even when there was supposed to be tension between them (Mel is ashamed of her situation and doesn't really want Paul to know that she was living on the streets for a while), I just kept expecting everything to work out for the best so it felt a little predictable to me. The situation with Mel's mother and grandmother were sad and were actually dark but those scenes somehow ended up fading into the background for me.

I did end up enjoying this one. There are many things about it that are good eye-openers for a younger  audience that maybe hasn't run into many of these issues before. Like what it means to have an alcoholic mom who can't hold down a job, live on the streets by yourself, not be accepted by people that most children would never dream of betraying them. But there is also hope. Like what it means to push through all that and make friends, carve out a piece of the world for yourself, and work on healing relationships. And I find hope is always a good eye-opener for everyone, no matter their situation. That is what I suppose this book was all about, and even though I wished it had felt more grittier and darker to me than it was I can see the power that hope can give to people when they do have to go through tough times in their lives.

An enjoyable read. I'd recommend this one to a younger audience (middle grade). 

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.




This post was part of my New Year's Signature Collection event.
Watch out for more guest posts,  lists, reviews of January releases, author interviews, and more throughout January.

1 comment: