Tuesday, January 24, 2012

January New Release in Review: Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic


Cover:



Publisher:

HMH Children's Books

Summary:


Austin Parker is on a journey to bring truth, beauty, and meaning to his life.
Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. The doctors say his chances of surviving are slim to none even with treatment, so he’s decided it’s time to let go.

But before he goes, Austin wants to mend the broken fences in his life. So with the help of his best friend, Kaylee, Austin visits every person in his life who touched him in a special way. He journeys to places he’s loved and those he’s never seen. And what starts as a way to say goodbye turns into a personal journey that brings love, acceptance, and meaning to Austin’s life.



Why I Read This:

It sounded amazing. Also, it counts for the 2012 Debut Author Reading Challenge.

My Thoughts:

What does it feel like to know that you will never turn 18? Never become an adult, grow up and see your friends go to college, find jobs, love, and create their own future? How does it feel to know that you wont be around, that your time is limited? I've always wondered. Always wanted to know. So of course I had to pick up a copy of Never Eighteen and find out how that topic would be explored.

What I found inside the pages of this short little blue book with a car on it's cover was something really quite beautiful. I expected this to be a sad book. It was beyond sad. I was crying within about 20 minutes of picking it up. And 20 minutes after that and probabaly more than a dozen times after that. Not just because it was sad that Austin was dying. But because the writer had a way with words that made me fall in love with all of the characters without barely knowing anything about them. Also, Never Eighteen was a deep, meaningful reflection on the beauty of life, the way we treat each other, and making every moment count. It made me think about my own life differently and respect Austin for trying to help his friends change their lives for the better.

I also didn't expect there to be so much joy in Austin. It was another really beautiful thing about the story.

There is so much I could say about what I love about Never Eighteen. So much happens. It is really an adventure story as well as a tradgedy, a love story, and an awakening. I loved it all and you should read it too. It is a very special book.

Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

Related posts:


Interview with Megan Bostic, Debut Author of Never Eighteen




This post was part of my New Year's Signature Collection event.
Watch out for more guest posts,  lists, reviews of January releases, author interviews, and more throughout January.
 

2 comments: