Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January New Release in Review: Incarnate (Newsoul #1) by Jodi Meadows


Cover:



Publisher:

HarperCollins

Summary:

NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.


Why I Read This:

I was really drawn in by the cover, but then the summary was what really made me want to read it.

Thoughts:

Fun, fun, fun...and more fun! There was action, conspiratorial plotting, love interests, mysterious temples, dragons, and more.

As action goes, this one was really full of it. When the book opened I felt like I was not thrown, but tossed, unabashadly and carefree into the story. This was really confusing to me in spots. It took a few pages to understand what was going on. Especially those scenes where the fantasy world really shines and the characters are talking about it. But it was always so fun that I wanted to keep reading and it was so worth it because in the end, I always did get it!

Anna and Sam made a great duo. Sam was so curious about Anna I was never really sure if he liked her for her. But he always helped Anna through her issues and by end of the book Anna had grown so much that I ended up being really proud of her. His backstory was fabulous as well. The music was beautiful and the descriptions of it were so well written I could truly feel myself next to Anna listening to it with solemnity and joy. I feel like Anna was a very strong character, even though I know a lot of people will read this book and think she is weak. I didn't think that at all, but recognized how she had been ostracized her whole life and was just now learning it's okay to be who she is. Anna had to have a lot of will-power to get through all that and walk around the city of Heart with so many people hating her.

Despite the fun and all the action, this one still turned out to be quite a thinker. I loved thinking through these "what ifs" and all the issues brought forth about reincarnation. Jodi Meadows does a great job of bringing something new to that discussion, that I personally hadn't heard of before. I especially liked the concept that reincarnated souls would know who they are and would spend thousands of years perfecting their craft in what they had chosen to do. The thousand year old souls were fascinating in so many ways because of the fact that they knew who they were and could continue their life.

I definitely recommend reading Incarnate, especially if you love fantasy with lots of action and something to think about. I will be looking forward to the next book and hope it doesn't take *too* long to get into my hands so I can enjoy more of this world and it's characters.

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

ARC from Netgalley.


This review was part of my New Year's Signature Collection event.
Watch out for more reviews of January releases, author interviews, and more.



5 comments:

  1. Not really a fantasy fan but this sounds promising. Though I hate being confuse right off the bat, my interest in books usually wane after the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get the chance to at least try it out. A library copy or borrowed might be a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very curious about this one because I keep hearing a lot of amazing stuff about it. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. The world and the characters sound very interesting and I just love the cover. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks great! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so good! I can't wait to get my hands on it! I have been hearing amazing stuff about it so I'm glad you enjoyed it! The cover really draws me in and I cannot wait to dive into the story! Awesome review!

    Tristan @ reviewsfromthehammock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete