Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Guest Post with Deborah Cooke, author of The Dragon Diaries: One Memorable Moment in 2011

Today we have with us Deborah Cooke, author of The Dragon Diaries series! I read Flying Bling last year and loved it so I'm very excited to have her here today. I've asked Deborah to tell us about one of her memorable moments in 2011:

One Memorable Moment in 2011
by Deborah Cooke (http://www.deborahcooke.com)

There were a lot of great things that happened in my writing career over the past year, including the launch of my first YA series. The Dragon Diaries (http://www.thedragondiaries.com) is a paranormal YA trilogy which is a spin-off from my Dragonfire series of paranormal romances (http://www.deborahcooke.com). It was a lot of fun to write these books and share the coming-of-age adventure of Zoë, the new Wyvern of the Pyr (and the only girl dragon shifter in my Dragonfire world.) 

But what stands out for me for 2011 was the sale of the first two Dragon Diaries books to Allison & Busby for separate UK commonwealth editions. I've had books sell into other markets before, but in the past, it's happened quietly through the publishing house. I've found out much later when I received copies of the books - although that didn't always happen either. This sale was different because my editor told me immediately that it had happened - I think she was as excited as I was! - and also because I was involved in the publication process at A&B. It was great to have the opportunity to read proofs for their editions, and also really exciting to see their covers for the books. I like that my girl Zoë has been introduced to the world by two different publishers, and I can't decide which set of covers I like best.

FLYING BLIND was published by NAL in the US and Canada in June 2011. It was published by A&B for UK Commonwealth in October 2011. (And yes, Canada is part of the Commonwealth, but we ended up as part of the US distribution anyway.) 

WINGING IT was published by NAL in the US and Canada in December 2011. It will be published by A&B for UK Commonwealth at the end of January 2012 - with a quote from a familiar blogger on the cover!)

BLAZING THE TRAIL will be published by NAL in June 2012. No word yet whether there will be an A&B edition, but I have my fingers crossed!
 
Thank you for sharing with us, Deborah! You can read more about Deborah and her books below:
 
 
Summary for Flying Blind, book 1 of The Dragon Diaries:
The next generation of shape-shifting dragons from the popular author of the Dragonfire novels.

Zoë Sorensson is perfectly normal, except she's been told she's destined for great things. Zoë's the one female dragon shapeshifter of her kind. But Zoë is at the bottom of the class when it comes to being Pyr and her powers are AWOL, so she's sent to a Pyr boot camp.

Zoë quickly realizes that she has to master her powers yesterday, because the Pyr are in danger and boot camp is a trap. The Mages want to eliminate all shifters and the Pyr are next in line-unless Zoë and her friends can work together and save their own kind.
 
Find it on Amazon or add it to your Goodreads list.
 
Also, find Winging It, the 2nd book in The Dragon Diary series on Goodreads and Amazon. 
 
About Deborah Cooke: 
 
Deborah makes her home in Canada with her husband. When she isn't writing, she can be found knitting, sewing or hunting for vintage patterns. Deborah Cooke has always been fascinated with dragons, although she has never understood why they have to be the bad guys. She has an honors degree in history, with a focus on medieval studies. She is an avid reader of medieval vernacular literature, fairy tales and fantasy novels, and has written over thirty romance novels under the names Claire Cross and Claire Delacroix.
 
Find her on Goodreads , Facebook, and on her website: http://www.deborahcooke.com 
 
 

This post was part of my New Year's Signature Collection event.
Watch out for more guest posts,  lists, reviews of January releases, author interviews, and more throughout January.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I had a memorable moment when for a whole month Deb visited my B&N book club and shared secrets with us as we discussed Kiss of Fire with her. Thanks Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah! Thank you for sharing these exciting happenings of 2011 with us. I've got a copy of Flying Blind on my bookshelf just waiting to be read. In fact, I was thinking of reading it next. I've only heard positive things said about the book and I look forward to it:)

    Best wishes for 2012!:)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete