Monday, January 16, 2012

Discussion: Your favourite read of 2011



Today I wanted to take some time to talk about our favourite reads of 2011. My question is simple this time:

Can you narrow your list down to just ONE favourite read of 2011? What about FIVE? What is one your favourites list for 2011?

I always find it extremely difficult to narrow any book list down just to a handful, never mind just one. I find each book brings something different to the table. I read for different purposes, get different things out of different kinds of stories. And on top of that, I jump genres...a lot. There have only been two years where I could say without a doubt that one book topped them all. The first was in 2010 when I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. And I'm thrilled to be able to say that without a doubt, my favourite read of 2011 was...




Divergent by Veronica Roth

(that is really not a surprise, is it?)

Love, love, love, love, love! This book had everything in it, delivered more than I imagined it could, and even had me dreaming Dauntless. If you haven't read it yet, you're crazy. (My review is here and on goodreads)

And yet...I still feel bad for all those books I loved and wont be mentioning...no wait! I can't do that. I just can't (see my problem...I am an info junky, only I'm trying to make everyone else one too). I had these lists posted on my sidebar and added to them as the year went by (No links to my reviews. Silly me, I'll have to add that feature this year but in any case, you can find most of them in my reviews archive). I read a lot of 5 star and 4 star books in 2011. Even a lot of the 3 star books are worth mentioning even though I wont because then this could get really long. I can't wait to see what's next in my pile!

Amazing YA Reads 2011 (4.5-5 Star Reads)

1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
2. Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas
3.. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
4. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
5. Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke
6. Hereafter by Tara Hudson
7. Divergent by Veronica Roth
8. Dreamland Social Club by Tara Altebrando
9. Flame of Surrender by Rhiannon Paille
10. Matched by Ally Condie

Also Recommended YA Reads 2011 (4 Star Reads)

1. Firelight by Sophie Jordan
2. The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
3. Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann
4. Exposed by Kimberly Marcus
5. Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
6. Clarity by Kim Harrington
7. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
8. Unlocked by Ryan G. Van Cleave
9. Looking for Alaska by John Green
10. All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
11. Forgotten by Cat Patrick
12. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (MG)
13. Gossamer by Lois Lowry (MG)
14. Fever by Lauren DeStephano
15. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
16. Irises by Francisco X. Stork
17. Incarnate by Jodi Meadows



I would love to see your lists. Maybe add a few more books to my "to-read" list. I'd love to know your answer to the question above. Can you pick just one? What about narrowing it down to five? Are you in love with Divergent as much as I am? What about the other books on my lists?










1 comment:

  1. I really, really, really want to read Divergent! As for a favorite read in 2011. . . that's a really tough question. I really loved Darkspell by Elizabeth Mueller. So I guess that is my answer.

    ReplyDelete