Monday, December 5, 2011

Books in Review: 2011's DNF, On Hold, or Not Reviewing


Before I start to get all Christmas-y and New Year's-y and reviewing lots of exciting books, I feel like I need to get the not-so-loved ones out of my system. I have talked about a few of these books here before, and wanted to mention why I haven't reviewed them or said anything further. So here's my list of did not finish, on hold, or not reviewing for the year.

I want to reinforce the idea that even though I didn't get through these books (or barely did), that many of you would enjoy them. Please go and check out the reviews and then decide for yourself if you're interested. Also, I'm really sorry if you loved any of these books and I didn't. Feel free to leave a comment saying why you loved (or didn't love these books) to help others decide.

Did Not Finish

Eve by Anna Carey

Why I didn't finish:

I got two thirds the way through this book before I realised that, honestly, I just didn't care. I don't know if it was the mood I was in or the style and story weren't my thing, but I decided not to waste my time on something I didn't care about and returned it to the library. I know that the story bothered me in some ways. Eve's fear of men felt overdone to me. Even though it made sense in the context of the story I couldn't believe that a world like this could even exist to begin with, which was a problem. It started out really well and I had high hopes. This was a disappointment to feel like this after the great start it had.


Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Why I didn't finish:

Too much angst. I understand a few characters. But every single one, even the peripheral characters spewed out loathing like it was in their veins. This works for some people. And probably for the story (I only got through about 50 pages, maybe it dies down a little?). But every time I picked it up the book just put me in a bad mood. I have to say, this is one I might even pick up in the future (far enough in the future to call this a DNF for now). But right now I need my characters a little more thoughtful and a lot less reactionary.

Jane by April Lindner

Why I didn't finish:

I requested this one for Christmas last year (and got it) after being blown away by Jane Eyre earlier in 2010. I totally disregarded all the reviews that said if you love Jane, you wont like this book. They were right. But I'm not sure if I didn't wait long enough before trying to dive into it or if there wasn't something special enough in the retelling to make it unique to itself (and therefore worth my time reading it). This is another one I might in the distant future try out again. For now I'm putting it on my DNF list and moving on...


On Hold


Brightly Woven by Alexandra Braken

Why it's on hold:

This is a very simple reason. I had no more holds left on it at the library. It was kind of a slow read for me, fitting it in wherever I could and not really giving it the focus it deserved. So after I had to return it I decided to leave it for a while until I know I can get really into it and enjoy it in one fell swoop.

Not reviewing:

Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2) by Andrea Cremer

Why I'm not reviewing:

This was by far my slowest read this year. It took me three weeks of consistantly reading the book every day to finish it. I still loved the world, still loved the characters, but really disliked the way the reader was just strung along through the entire book. Every single time a chapter ended, Calla would say how they were about to go rescue someone, and then the next chapter would start and she finds something else to talk about to the other characters before they go. It really annoyed me so much that I don't even want to review the book.


The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Why I'm not reviewing:

I plain did not like this book. I don't even know what else to say other than that. The book was well written, the story was done well and believeable. I just didn't like it. Mental block!


Laguna Cove by Alyson Noel

Why I'm not reviewing:

It was okay. But to be honest I felt really blase about it after reading. I felt like I had nothing to say and still do. Probably because the story didn't inspire me to do anything other than read it. I guess I didn't feel a strong enough connection to the characters and the problems they were facing. I'm under the impression this has more to do with the fact I am not actually a teenage girl and less to do with the writing.


I should probably also mention these books, which wont be reviewed, for the only reason that I read them before I started One A Day Y.A. and have waited too long to remember my exact reaction and specifics about the characters, writing styles, or plot.


Matched by Ally Condie (a 5 star book!), The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (3 stars), Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer (3 stars), Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer (3.5 stars) and Sea by Heidi Kling (3 stars)

And that's the list! Any other book I've mentioned or you've found on my Goodreads list that hasn't been reviewed yet I am planning one for in the future. Feels like a lot, but I'm looking on the bright side. There are way more books this year that made me excited to share a review and I've read an incredible amount of 5 star gush-worthy books this year as well as amazing 4-star books that made me want to rush right out and tell as many people as I could about them. Hopefully I can squeeze a few more of those in for you in December. Before the year is officially over :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see someone else not liking Eve. That story made me so MAD! One scene in particular made me stop reading. When that old man kidnapped Eve, her friend and that young girl and basically leered at them and told them he was selling them to men to for money and they would end up being forced into prostitution (child rape!) I had to say, WOAH,,, Woah.. no more, can not take it. Ugh. I can't believe more people aren't upset about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...that scene. I think that's about where I stopped reading too. It made me really think, is this believeable to me? and when the answer was no I just stopped caring about everything else. Glad I'm not the only one too!

    ReplyDelete