Thursday, December 22, 2011

Book in Review: Gossamer by Lois Lowry


Cover:



Publisher:

Yearling

Summary:

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

Why I Read This:

The cover, description, and title were all too beautiful to pass this one up!

Thoughts:

This one was darling, wrapped up in a dream.

I am so glad I checked out Lois Lowry's magical realism for young readers. I remember reading The Giver all the way back in third grade and reading it all at once (instead of one chapter at a time, like the teacher wanted) because I couldn't stop reading. Gossamer did not dissappoint. It was a short read, but also, I just couldn't stop reading it either and that also made it a very fast read.

The imagery was fantastic - dream creatures being these cute fluttery shadow people - curious and loving. Then the nightmare creatures were these really scary horses that stampede into people's dreams (leaving the dream creatures cowering in a corner) and take over.

The little boy John's situation was pretty simple and really not all that unique if left on it's own. But with the dreams/nightmares aspect of the story-telling, and Little one's innocent and charming touch, it still managed to be meaningful and moving.

This was a very quick read for me. Definitely recommended.

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.


2 comments:

  1. The author's name was familiar *sheepish grin* until you mentioned "The Giver". opps. I haven't tried picking up The Giver ever since I saw it the book shop. :) I'll do so when I get a chance. I like this one too. The manner the author chose the names of her characters: Littlest One and Thin Elderly were quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup... Lois Lowry is just brilliant. I read this one a long time ago, but it really is just simple and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete