Thursday, December 8, 2011

Book in Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan


Cover:



Publisher:

Alfred A. Knopf

Summary:

“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?

Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.


Why I Read This:

Many great recommendations from other book bloggers.

Thoughts:

Love this book!

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares was the perfect Y.A. novel for getting into the Christmas mood this year. I read it mid-November so it was early enough to be a real catalyst for me to get excited about the holidays.

What I loved most about the story was how incredibly different both Lily and Dash were from each other. It's got both sides of the spectrum covered - one person loves and adores the holidays while the other hates it so much and starts off the book wanting to get away from it all. They don't have much in common and even though I didn't know if that made it impossible, I really wanted them to meet and it be love at first sight!

Both Dash & Lily get sucked into this frenzy of dares with each other from a series of happenstance, starting with a book Lily puts on a shelf at the famous New York book store, The Strand. I thought it was so funny why Lily did this in the first place and the assumptions Dash is making about her as he turns the pages and plays along with the dares. The cast of characters along the way is brilliant. I loved them all and it was fun finding out in later parts of the story how either Dash or Lily knew the people. Also, how funny was snarly face? Shrilly was wonderful too.

This book was magical. I picked it up from my shelf on a whim, thinking I'd just read a little bit and then get back to my already-in-progress read. I could not stop reading it and stayed up until 2 am to finish. To put in perspective, I rarely ever stay up late to finish a book. Even if there are only 20 pages left, if it's late and I'm tired, I go to bed. This was not a sleep-inducing book. Having both Lily and Dash's changing perspectives always made me want to get to the next chapter, always to see what crazy thing was about to happen. It kept me wide awake into the night :)

I gave this a 4/5 rather than a 5/5 because I felt one thing lacking - that magical family time at Christmas. There seemed to lack a really great ending for the family storyline. That is my one small complaint, but big enough to knock it down a notch on my scale. However, it's definitely a very big recommendation from me :)

You can be sure I've added all of the David Levithan and Rachel Cohn books to my wishlist. 

My Rating:



Disclaimer:

I bought my copy.

1 comment: