Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Secret Circle TV Show On The CW



Over the past few years I've been really impressed with the CW. They have consistently engaged me in stories involving teen, supernatural, and super-hero protaganists. Their latest show to catch my attention is The Secret Circle.

Based on the books by L.J. Smith of the same title, here's what it's all about:



The "Secret Circle" series follows 16-year-old Cassie, who moves from California to live with her grandmother in New Salem and falls in love with a mysterious boy named Adam. But, when she enrolls in high school there, she realizes that he, she and all the other elite students at the school are witches! She befriends their leader, Diana, but soon discovers that Adam and Diana are dating, which leads to a whole bunch of complicated drama.
-From IMDB

I'm not sure how closely the story follows the books, but I've decided to find out and will be reading them  sometime in the next few months. Either way, the story has captured my imagination enough to want to see (and read) more, whether they are closely related or not.



This is the CW's second tv show based on a series by L.J. Smith, the first being The Vampire Diaries, which is now in it's third season. I have not read the books based on this show either. I have enjoyed it in the past, but not enough to go seek out the books. I think that says a lot about how much I am enjoying The Secret Circle.




So what do you think? Have you watched the shows or read the books? I would love to hear your thoughts on how closely the stories match in different formats. Does it even matter to you or are you happy when they are different so you can have more of it?



6 comments:

  1. We're like opposites. I like The Vampire Diaries a lot more than I like the Secret Circle though I do still enjoy it.

    I just feel like The Secret Circle took a long time to show us what the plot was going to be and had the same characters saying the same things over and over and over (Diane: We have to bind the circle, it's dangerous! Faye: I don't need any of you! Cassie: I don't want any part in this, leave me alone!) Now that the story has started going with the Jake/demon plot I'm much more excited to tune in. I'm just glad I fell by the fifth episode or I would have stopped. I hope you like the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the books the week before the series started, in my opinion apart from the place and character names there is no resemblance to the books. It should say 'inspired' by the books not 'based on.'
    Even so, I really enjoyed the books and I am getting into the TV show, just have to think of them as 2 separate things

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the series twice (once in the 90s when I was a teen), and loved it. I haven't watched the series as all because I could tell it held no resemblance to the tv series and that saddened me. I may eventually watch it, just to see what it's like, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked The Vampires TV series a lot more than the books! They have very different plot lines and the show is more exciting!

    I wasn't too sure about The Secret Circle TV series at first, but each episode keeps getting only better and better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amber - that's really interesting! I think one of the things I disliked about The Vampire Diaries (although I still do like it) is that it moved too fast, especially at the beginning. Too much going on all the time :)

    @barmybex - I think that's actually a plus for me. I really like to read the books but at the same time, I want to be surprised and not know everything that's going to happen in future episodes. I think I will like both. We'll see. Thanks for letting me know though. Now when I read the books I don't have to try and keep looking for things that aren't going to happen.

    @sablelexi - Good to know! The reviews on Goodreads seem to be all over the place. I hope I like them as much as you did.

    @MidnightBloom - I know - every episide you learn something new. I think that might be why I like it so much - they don't reveal everything at once :) Interesting that you liked the Vampire Diaries tv show more than the books.

    Have any of you read any of L.J. Smith's other books? I put a few on my wishlist but wasn't sure if they are really worth reading or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read either the of the books for these series and how much I love the shows doesn't affect whether I would read the books are not but I do have friends who have read the books and they've told me a few differences between the two. I love The Vampire Diaries, its one of my favourite TV shows, I am finally warming up to The Secret Circle, I don't love it as much as The Vampire Diaries yet but I hope I will because I was very excited for this show when I first heard about it.

    ReplyDelete