Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Interview with Miranda Kenneally, author of Catching Jordan


Today we have with us Miranda Kenneally, author of Catching Jordan which is set to release December 1st, 2011 (just a few weeks away!). Get to know more about Miranda and her book in the interview below.


Tell us a little about yourself and the book(s) you've written...



I’m Miranda Kenneally, I’m 29 and I’m from Manchester, Tennessee. I live in Washington, D.C. now, and I enjoy coffee and Diet Coke and all things caffeine. My first book, CATCHING JORDAN, comes out on December 1, 2011. My next two YA books are coming out in fall 2012 and spring 2013, but the titles aren’t set yet. Also, I’m editing a non-fiction anthology based on the website Dear Teen Me that will come out in fall 2012.



How many finished stories did you write before seeing your first book published? Do you think you'll ever go back to them and try again?



CATCHING JORDAN was the second book I wrote. The first was a YA sci-fi set on the moon and I would love to go back to it someday, but I love YA contemporary love stories, so I am thrilled that CATCHING JORDAN got picked up.



What is one thing you'd like your readers to take away from your book(s)?



That girls are strong and capable of anything they want to do.



Is there a dedication at the beginning of your book? Who did you dedicate it to and why?



Yes! I dedicated my book to “Sara Megibow, and all the other badass chicks out there.” Sara Megibow is my literary agent, and she works so hard for me. She believed in me and never gave up and I owe her big time. I also dedicated the book to all the badass chicks out there because I am a proponent of girl power!



What will your next book be about?



My next book coming out in fall 2012, tentatively titled PLAYING PARKER, is about a 17-year-old girl who falls for the 23-year-old coach of the school baseball team. It takes place at the same school as CATCHING JORDAN and some familiar characters might pop up…



What was life like for you when YOU were a teen?


Crush on a guy. Crush on another guy. Crush on first guy again. Get mad at parents for making me drive minivan. Get mad at sister for stealing clothes. Kiss random guy I don’t have a crush on. Frantically try to finish homework between classes. Regret not doing homework at home the night before, when I was waiting on crush to call. Crush on another guy. Get a kiss from crush! Crush them avoids me. Avoid nice guy who has a crush on me, who I don’t have a crush on back. REPEAT.

As an adult, I regret nearly all of this. J



Do you have a book crush? Who is it?


Probably either Po from GRACELING or Finnikin from FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK. Can I please have both?



You are invited to a masquerade/halloween party. Who (or what) do you dress as?


The Pope. (Why not?)



 Is there a Y.A. novel you wish YOU wrote?


JELLICOE ROAD (OMG it’s so good. And Jonah is so hot!)



If you could live in any time period (other than the current one) which one would you choose?


1890s in England! I would be the queen of the afternoon tea circuit, let me tell you.


What is the most fun you’ve ever had?


Definitely the time I snuck into Dave Grohl’s dressing room when I was 17. Totally worth getting in trouble with the Foo Fighter’s security.



What advice would you give your teen readers about life?


Adults don’t know everything and aren’t always right. You’re smart too. Don’t forget that, and don’t ever give up hope.



Summary of Catching Jordan:


What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.




Author Bio:



Miranda Kenneally is the author of CATCHING JORDAN, a contemporary YA novel about football and femininity, coming in December 2011. Other books include PLAYING PARKER (fall 2012) and BAD, BAD THING (spring 2013). Miranda is the co-creator of Dear Teen Me. The Dear Teen Me Anthology will be published by Zest Books (distributed by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) in late 2012. She enjoys reading and writing young adult literature, and loves Star Trek, music, sports, Mexican food, Twitter, coffee, and her husband. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook. Miranda is represented by Sara Megibow at Nelson Literary Agency.




3 comments:

  1. Awesome interview Erika! I plan to start this tonight or tomorrow :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book so much! <3 Seriously, every contemp fan should definitely read it.

    Ooh, good choices on book crushes, Miranda. Love Finnikin, although I am more of a Jonah Griggs girl. But basically I fall in love with every Melina Marchetta character.

    Awesome interview, Erika. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I loved the summary of life as a teen! Bahaha!

    ReplyDelete