Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday Teasers: Book Beginnings and The Friday 56


Here is your Friday Teasers for this week. Enjoy! The book I am teasing you with is...



A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Sixteen-year-old Mattie Gokey has big dreams but little hope of seeing them come true. Desperate for money, she takes a job at the Glenmore, where hotel guest Grace Brown asks her to burn a bundle of secret letters. But when Grace's drowned body is fished from the lake, Mattie discovers the letters reveal the grim truth behind a murder.

Set in 1906 against a backdrop of the murder that inspired Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy, this astonishing novel weaves romance, history, and a murder mystery into something moving, real, and wholly original

Book Beginnings


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by A Few More Pages where we answer the question, "So, what is the first line of your current read, and how did you like it?"

The first line is
When summer comes to the north woods, time slows down.

My impression:
My first reaction to the sentence is that it sounds like it's going to be a boring book if we start with summer and it's the time things get slow in the main character's life. But then I think what if that's what is going to make the book interesting - that it's supposed to be slow but then it turns out not to be. It makes me want to read on to see if things are changing for the main character.


The Friday 56



is hosted by Freda's Voice
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.

*Turn to page 56.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.

It's that simple.

On page 56 of A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly:


He pushed us inside, slammed the door, and locked it, as if he were afraid we would leave, too.



  I hope you are sufficiently "teased". So, what's your Book Beginning? What about your 56?


3 comments:

  1. The first line of my current read (Hereafter by Tara Hudson) is:

    "It was the same as always, but different from the first time."

    My impression: What is she talking about...

    From page 56:

    " My Future hinged on Joshua and the outcome of our conversation."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I LOVED Hereafter. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did. Thanks for the teasers :)

    ReplyDelete