Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Teasers: Book Beginnings and The Friday 56

Normally I pick a book I am currently reading for my teasers, but today I decided to just pick a random one from my to-read pile. I will be just as surprised and "teased" as all of you are. Enjoy!


Eve by Anna Carey

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve’s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.


Book Beginnings:


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by A Few More Pages where we answer the question, "So, what is the first line of your current read, and how did you like it?"

The first line is

May 23, 2025
My sweet Eve,

As I drove back from the market today, you humming in your car seat and our trunk filled with powered milk and rice, I saw the San Gabriel Mountains--really saw them for the first time.
 

My impression:
So, it opens with a letter. Already I'm assuming it's her mother but I don't know, the ending could surprise me and be someone completely different. But what I like most about the opening line is that the way it's written really makes me want to see more of the world. The description of everything happening around this person is really beautiful. I want more!

The Friday 56




is hosted by Freda's Voice
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.

*Turn to page 56.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.

It's that simple.

On page 56 of Eve by Anna Carey:

"I'd love to have a heart to heart, really, but I need to hunt for our dinner."

 

I hope you are sufficiently "teased". So, what's your Book Beginning? What about your 56?

3 comments:

  1. Hunt for dinner? Sounds creepily promising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, the teasers have got me intrigued and the synopsis sounds great.
    I have to add this to my TBR!

    Have a great weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this one. Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete